My Rkt Sculpture Is Collapsing!

Decorating By sweetpea425 Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 3:33am by madgeowens

sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a witch sculpture for a cake this weekend and her arms and body keep collapsing! I have used dowel rods as support inside but this is not working. This is my first sculpture. Any ideas? icon_cry.gif

9 replies
Andy383240 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 10

You might not be compressing the mixture enough. RTK is sensitive to humidity as well. I had the same trouble with a teddy bear and I used toothpicks going in different directions and added some royal icing for glue. After the fondant was added it held up for the event. However I warned the servers about the toothpicks because they can be hard to spot and dangerous. I hope this helps and your piece turns out OK.

KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 10

Did you make or buy the treats? If you make them, leave out the butter. You can also add less marshmallow to stiffen it up.

texanlostlover Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

The last time I used RKT, I mixed in some melted chocolate (I used Wilton's candy melts, but I'm sure you could use other kinds). It worked GREAT! I had to play around a little with the amount of chocolate--at first I added too much and it was just a goopy mess, so I added more rice krispies and it was fine. It's a technique I read about on this site, so you might even be able to find more info on how much to add if you do a search. Good luck!

sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 10

Awesome! Thanks! It is very humid here, I live in Louisiana so that probably has alot to do with it!

sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 10

I made the RKT myself. I'll try leaving out the butter and adding some melted choc. Thanks for the help!

Motorhead Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #7 of 10

i make the regular recipe (with butter) RKT, i sculpted a dragon (in my pics) i had trouble with the neck falling off, i placed one large dowel though the length then covered with RKT and glued it to the body using chocolate melts. i also used the candy melts to cover the whole RKT sculpture before covering in fondant. i found that it dried faster and harder than RI and was easier to scrape off any excess. hth

sweetpea425 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

Great idea! Thanks! I'm going to try again tomorrow. Hoping it works this time!

sweetpea425 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #9 of 10

Ok, I started over today and made the RKT and added candy melts. I sculpted the witch again and so far so good! I am letting her harden overnight before I cover her but the RKT have set up hard this time so I think it's gonna work! YAY!

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 10

when my rkt is too wet I just add more cereal

Quote by @%username% on %date%