Fondant-Store Bought Or Homemade

Decorating By EdieP Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm by mareg

EdieP Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, was wondering which is better to use. The mmf you make at home or purchased through global sugar art. It would seem easier to purchase but questioning the taste. Also if purchased which is the best fondant to use.

5 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 6

If you are just starting to work with fondant I would suggest using the pre made varieties first, as getting home made mmf fondant to the just right conistency to work with can take some trial & error. For fondant newbies I suggest wilton rolled fondant- it is very smooth & consistent, easy to work with. Once you are accustomed to working with fondant, moving on to making your own mmf will be much easier, and in my opionion home made tastes better that any pre-made I have ever purchased.

metria Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not crazy about store-bought taste, but I do like the convenience of the pre-colored versions like black, red, and green.

LillyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the above. I have tried the Duff fondant and was not excited about the taste at all. I have made Rhonda's MMF and it is great. I rolled it out thin to make the buttercream the star and I got rave reviews.

chelleb1974 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 6

I use and prefer Satin Ice pre-made fondant. I like the workability of it, but I know many people that don't like it. Some other brands are Fondx, Fondarific, Choco-Pan, and Pettinice. It's mostly personal preference what you prefer to use and work with.

mareg Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

I make my own. MFF found here on CC. If I need a dark color like red or black I buy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%