Help! Buttercream "gift" Theme!

Decorating By Bkduran Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 2:23pm by Bkduran

Bkduran Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! I will be making (for the first time ever!!) a larger birthday cake. The request is that it be a 1 tier square decorated in pink and white to look like a gift!
First question.....will a 16" square be large enough for 100 guests?
Second question....How can I make a "ribbon" and bow out of buttercream?
Any advice and/or tips are so greatly appreciated!
BK

8 replies
Chasey Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 9

Good luck with your first "big" cake! I hope you've read up on using a heating core, baking a lower temp for a longer time, yada yada. icon_biggrin.gif

According to this chart, a 16" square would be 80 servings.

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/amountbakingguide.cfm

As for making a buttercream ribbon and bow, you can make a "flat" one using a large rose tip for the loops and a larger basketweave tip to make the ribbons. Here is one example:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Frosting-Bows

If you want a loopy bow that stands up, I would choose to make a melted white chocolate bow on parchment strips that you let cool and assemble OR make it out of marshmallow fondant/gumpaste mix.

How to make melted chocolate bows:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=124632

TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 9

I'd ice the cake in buttercream, then use fondant/gumpaste for the bow myself.

Bkduran Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 9

Oh thank you ladies for your replies! For some odd reason I never saw the replies until now!
Anyway....I am two days away from the big event! (Nervous!)
I made a batch of "test" MM fondant to play around with and practice making the bow. I finally got one that looks half decent, but it is still a bit small I think....So practice some more!
I only recently heard of the option to use chocolate (or candy melts) but now that I have made the fondant I don't know if I should change my entire direction? Maybe next cake I 'll give it a try!
I will post pictures of my finished project on Saturday!
BK

Texas Sugar....Any tips for how to get a pretty bow? I made MM fondant and added about 1 tsp of GUM Tex to try to make it dry faster.....I am having a hard time keeping it smooth...it seems to crack quite a bit when I am trying to form the bow.

CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkduran

The request is that it be a 1 tier square decorated in pink and white to look like a gift!
First question.....will a 16" square be large enough for 100 guests?

According to this chart:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
a 16" square (two-layer cake) serves 128.

If you want your "gift box" cake to look more like a cube rather than a shirt box sort of shallow shape, you might consider using 12" pans and bake three 2" layers.

Chasey Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 9

Careful, that 128 is for wedding sized slices! You mentioned making a birthday cake so party slices are a little larger. STILL not my idea of a party sized slice though, LOL! I'd probably get 65 servings max. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with the cube presentation to look most like a gift box!

Bkduran Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 9

Well, Here is a picture of my finished cake.....(well, almost! I added a few more pink "swirlys" but forgot to take more pictures!)
Anyway.....I took 4 hours trying to smooth the buttercream, and I still was not satisfied with the result.....so, I guess I will have to keep practicing! icon_smile.gif

Chasey Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 9

Looks really nice! And very familiar regarding the buttercream icon_lol.gif .....because I struggle, too! It looks like both of us need to put a thicker coat on. The first coat should be thin and trap the crumbs. Let that crust and then apply a thicker coat. Once that crusts you shouldn't see through the icing. I'm contemplating ordering the "art of perfecting buttercream" DVD that Sugarshack made. thumbs_up.gif

Bkduran Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 9

Hey Chasey! Yes...I agree I did not make enough buttercream and since I personally don't like a really thick layer of frosting on any cake (personal preference) I guess I went to far the other way and put way to little! icon_sad.gif
oh well.......hmmm that dvd sounds good. I shall look into that myself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%