The Great Gumpaste Debate

Decorating By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm by KoryAK

Scarlets-Cakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm kind of new to the cake decorating world, and self taught, to boot. So I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the best way to do gumpaste...

1. Prepackaged, ready-to-use
2. Powder, needing water only
3. Made from scratch

I'm interested in your opinion on:

1. Cost
2. Ease of use
3. Quality

Thank you, wonderful CCer's. You are so full of knowledge and I, for one, am very grateful for your willingness to share it.

7 replies
 DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 8

I've used all three and, honestly, I think they are all decent methods.

The least expensive would be the homemade. I love Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I was a little freaked out about using it during the salmonella/egg scare, but I'm over that now. icon_smile.gif

I really like Wilton's gumpaste. It stays pliable for a long time. Sometimes a little too long! I usually buy it with a 40% or 50% off coupon, so it would also rate up there with the most economical.

Obviously, the prepackaged is the fastest with the least labor and mess.

I pretty much stopped using the powder when I could buy the gumpaste already made.

poomagoo  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poomagoo Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 8

I prefer to make my own but whenever I need some at short notice and don't have time, I use Wiltons (with a coupon from michaels as its just too expensive otherwise). Its not bad stuff really and I've found that it lasts for ages if you seal it properly. Used to use a different brand before and found it would dry out in the packet before I'd used it all thumbsdown.gif. Never tried the powdered stuff.

I guess I'd recommend making your own but its worth trying out wiltons first so you know what kind of consistency it should be.

KoryAK  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 8

I like to add tylose to fondant. I already have fondant lying around so I don't need to buy anything but a $4 jar of tylose to have all the colors of the GP rainbow at my fingertips at a moment's notice!

Scarlets-Cakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

What is the Tylose to Fondant ratio?

Mom_of_one  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlets-Cakes

What is the Tylose to Fondant ratio?

I too am interested in the ratio as the tylose doesn't have the amounts or directions on the container.

Thank you!

Ruth0209  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 8

I like the powdered Wilton gumpaste. I used the premixed once and it was a pretty good consistency (a bit tough), but it smelled absolutely hideous. I couldn't stand to put the stinky stuff on a cake so I went back to the powdered.

KoryAK  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

I think a lot of the ratio will depend on your environment and preferences. I'm in Alaska where it's pretty dry and I use maybe 1-2 teaspoons per pound? I don't really know for sure, I just dump it in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%