The Great Gumpaste Debate

Decorating By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm by KoryAK

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm kind of new to the cake decorating world, and self taught, to boot. So I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the best way to do gumpaste...

1. Prepackaged, ready-to-use
2. Powder, needing water only
3. Made from scratch

I'm interested in your opinion on:

1. Cost
2. Ease of use
3. Quality

Thank you, wonderful CCer's. You are so full of knowledge and I, for one, am very grateful for your willingness to share it.

7 replies
DianeLM Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 8

I've used all three and, honestly, I think they are all decent methods.

The least expensive would be the homemade. I love Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I was a little freaked out about using it during the salmonella/egg scare, but I'm over that now. icon_smile.gif

I really like Wilton's gumpaste. It stays pliable for a long time. Sometimes a little too long! I usually buy it with a 40% or 50% off coupon, so it would also rate up there with the most economical.

Obviously, the prepackaged is the fastest with the least labor and mess.

I pretty much stopped using the powder when I could buy the gumpaste already made.

poomagoo Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 8

I prefer to make my own but whenever I need some at short notice and don't have time, I use Wiltons (with a coupon from michaels as its just too expensive otherwise). Its not bad stuff really and I've found that it lasts for ages if you seal it properly. Used to use a different brand before and found it would dry out in the packet before I'd used it all thumbsdown.gif. Never tried the powdered stuff.

I guess I'd recommend making your own but its worth trying out wiltons first so you know what kind of consistency it should be.

KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 8

I like to add tylose to fondant. I already have fondant lying around so I don't need to buy anything but a $4 jar of tylose to have all the colors of the GP rainbow at my fingertips at a moment's notice!

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

What is the Tylose to Fondant ratio?

Mom_of_one Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by Scarlets-Cakes

What is the Tylose to Fondant ratio?

I too am interested in the ratio as the tylose doesn't have the amounts or directions on the container.

Thank you!

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 8

I like the powdered Wilton gumpaste. I used the premixed once and it was a pretty good consistency (a bit tough), but it smelled absolutely hideous. I couldn't stand to put the stinky stuff on a cake so I went back to the powdered.

KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

I think a lot of the ratio will depend on your environment and preferences. I'm in Alaska where it's pretty dry and I use maybe 1-2 teaspoons per pound? I don't really know for sure, I just dump it in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%