School Me, What Is The Diff Of Parchment And Wax Paper

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 3:13am by cheatize

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 12

Can these papers be used interchangeably or what should I NOT do w/ one that I can do with the other one?

11 replies
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 12

Parchment paper is JUST paper.....Wax paper has a coating of wax.

Parchment can be put in the oven....Wax paper can't.

They are both used to keep things from not sticking (such as dipped chocolates). HTH

Karen421 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 12

I use wax paper all the time to line my pans. Works great!!! thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 12

Parchment paper is treated with silicone and it's oven safe, can withstand high temperatures (up to 420 degrees F), while wax paper cannot. You can replace wax paper with parchment paper most of the time. You can also use parchment for sticky treats because it will be less likely to stick than wax paper.

Wax paper is coated with paraffin wax on both sides. The wax could melt into your food and also smoke in the oven. Wax paper should not be used in the oven except for lining cake pans where the batter will keep it from being exposed to the heat of the oven.

I use mostly parchment for everything.

Chasey Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 12

I would recommend using parchment paper when making melted chocolate loops for a bow. I'm talking about the kind of bow you make by spreading melted chocolate onto strips of parchment, letting it cool a little and then forming a loop with the strip and standing it on it's edge to dry. (not talking about chocolate fondant icon_smile.gif )

Wax paper is flimsier in this regard and not as easy to stand on it's edge when coated with the melted chocolate!

By the way, parchment triangles used for piping that can be bought in a box seem to be slightly thinner than the parchment paper on a roll. I use the triangles in the box for piping and the stuff on a roll for lining baking sheets. (and making chocolate bows!)

metria Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 12

parchment paper: coated in silicone
wax paper: coated in wax
freezer paper: coated in plastic (do NOT use in oven)

I love parchment paper for baking and making cones for piping. I sometimes use wax paper for lining my pans, and I use it often for temporarily placing food or fondant on. I use freezer paper all the time to put my cakes on when I'm torting them. It's sturdy and makes clean up a breeze.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

parchment paper: coated in silicone
wax paper: coated in wax
freezer paper: coated in plastic (do NOT use in oven)

I love parchment paper for baking and making cones for piping. I sometimes use wax paper for lining my pans, and I use it often for temporarily placing food or fondant on. I use freezer paper all the time to put my cakes on when I'm torting them. It's sturdy and makes clean up a breeze.

ohh goodness a 3rd paper!!

Thanks ladies, I have wax paper but I seem to never use it, I use parchment all the time for cooking cookies or rolls b/c I thought I heard wax was not oven safe, but I was not sure if that was really true.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 12

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if the wax paper is covered completely it won't burn in the oven right?

metria Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 12

ooh lookie here:

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/faq_detail.asp?info_page_id=750&prod_id=1792&cat_id=1337

Quote:
Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use Reynolds® Cut-Rite® Wax Paper in the oven?
Cut-Rite® Wax Paper may be used as a liner in baking cakes, quick breads, muffins or any baked food in which the batter completely covers the wax paper lining. Wax paper should never be directly exposed to the heat of an oven.

Why should I line my cake pan with wax paper?
When you line cake pans with Reynolds® Cut-Rite® Wax Paper, there is no need to grease and flour the pans. Here's a quick tip: Place each cake pan on wax paper, trace around bottom, cut out a wax paper circle and drop it into the pan. After baking and cooling, loosen sides of cake with a knife. Invert cake onto a cooling rack. Remove pan and peel off wax paper for a smooth surface that's ready to frost.

Can I use Reynolds® Cut-Rite® Wax Paper in the microwave?
Cut-Rite® Wax Paper can be used as an inexpensive, spatter-free cover for microwave heating, to loosely cover foods for microwave defrosting and to cook vegetables in the microwave. For microwave cooking, always microwave at least 1/2 cup of food at a time and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with Cut-Rite Wax Paper to hold in just the right amount of heat and moisture without steam buildup.

How do you press leaves with wax paper?
Place leaf between 2 pieces of Cut-Rite® Wax Paper; put that between 2 pieces of brown paper bag and press with a warm iron.

Who invented wax paper?
Thomas Edison is given credit for inventing wax paper.

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if the wax paper is covered completely it won't burn in the oven right?

Correct. That's the only time when you should use in the oven. I still feel funny about the wax coating, though. I guess it's OK to eat wax?

Chasey Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 12

I used to use wax paper ALL of the time baking cakes because my mother did. Never had an issue in the oven with that so yes, you can heat it up!

My mom taught me to turn over my empty cake pan, lay a sheet of wax paper over the bottom and to use a knife and gently score the wax paper around the circle.

Then you cut the circle out, place in the bottom of your cake pan and ta da! Baked cake flips out with no sticking and you just peel the wax paper off of the cake layer.

Never noticed a residue left behind or a strange taste. icon_razz.gif

cheatize Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:13am
post #12 of 12

In terms of thickness/heaviness, mine goes:
Thickest: freezer paper
Medium: parchment paper
Thinnest: wax paper

I just opened a new box of store brand wax paper. It's thinner than ever. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%