Getting Nervous!!!

Business By Emmar308 Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm by Apti

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 10

I have butterflies in my tummy!!! Tomorrow is my Environmental Health inspection and i feel like my list of jobs to do is never ending!! Every time i turn around i seem to find something that needs to be cleaned, tidied, hidden away etc! How did you cope, any words of wisdom???

9 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 10

when i had the inspections...they were WAY easier than i'd thought they would be.

let us know how it goes!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 5:16am
post #3 of 10

You will be fine! Congrats on getting to this point. As far as words of wisdom? Nope, just hang in there!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 10

I was so nervous about my first inspection, I scrubbed every surface with bleach, made sure everything was spotless, etc. Then the inspector came, looked around quickly, got information from me about the way that I store products, and gave me my certificate. I was so mad, I was almost tempted to invite him to look at the gasket on my fridge to see how clean it was!

I don't know how it is in the UK, but if they have things they want you to improve on here, they'll tell you and let you do them, then reinspect. One woman told me that you can still operate with a certain number of violations, too, which I found hard to believe but I guess it's true. She said that she had carpeting in her workroom, and you're supposed to have a solid-surface floor. She said that every year they gave her one mark off her inspection for that, but she never bothered to change it because it didn't stop her from passing the inspection.

Don't worry too much, just clean as well as you can, and I'm sure it will be easier than you think!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 10

Costume...me too! And the whole time he filled out my paperwork he told me horror stories of the awful stuff they find all the time in warehouses and other food businesses....he basically said they don't even care about us home bakers because we are nothing like the terrible things they have to wade through in the city....warehouses storing fish outside in crates for hours before storing, etc.....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 10

Same here. However clean your house is for your family will likely be clean enough for the inspector. They don't mind a little mess if you're in the middle of working. My inspector came in once when my sink was piled high with dishes. "I see that you're working." icon_smile.gif

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 10

Thankyou so much for the support everyone - i was so nervous i felt sick when the inspector arrived, but she was lovely and chatty and SHE PASSED ME!!! Yippee!!!!! I'm sooooo happy, and the funniest thing is she ordered a cake from me!! Lol i now have to design a motorcycle cake for a fortnights time (my first business order from the Inspector how mad is that!) - I guess she was happy with how clean my home is! Oh i could waffle on all day, i'm so chuffed, but i think i shall go and have a celebratory cup of tea and a huge slice of cake! Thanks again, you CC'ers are great xxx

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 10

LOL what a great compliment!!! Congrats!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Costume...me too! And the whole time he filled out my paperwork he told me horror stories of the awful stuff they find all the time in warehouses and other food businesses....he basically said they don't even care about us home bakers because we are nothing like the terrible things they have to wade through in the city....warehouses storing fish outside in crates for hours before storing, etc.....

Hahaha! My inspector did the same thing. I heard tales of terror of the beer factory inspection.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Thankyou so much for the support everyone - i was so nervous i felt sick when the inspector arrived, but she was lovely and chatty and SHE PASSED ME!!! Yippee!!!!! I'm sooooo happy, and the funniest thing is she ordered a cake from me!! Lol i now have to design a motorcycle cake for a fortnights time (my first business order from the Inspector how mad is that!) - I guess she was happy with how clean my home is! Oh i could waffle on all day, i'm so chuffed, but i think i shall go and have a celebratory cup of tea and a huge slice of cake! Thanks again, you CC'ers are great xxx

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Feel free to waffle and chuf for a long time, you've EARNED it! And a big congrats on getting a cake order from the inspector--what a great compliment to your skills. She sees a zillion bakers and she chose to order from you! Congratulations again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%