My First Cricut Cake!

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm by shearpamela

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 7

I only have the Cricut Personal Electronic cutter because I was afraid to invest in something that may not work - but it did work and it was loads of fun!
I bought Linda McClure's DVD, and was disappointed her gum-paste recipe was not included but I managed pretty well making my own. The black design cut perfectly clean edges - I was amazed.
I am already seeing I will want the bigger size, I wanted to do a large scroll medallion for the top and just didn't have the right size to do it.
I will also be downloading SCAL, although it seems confusing to figure out....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1845720

6 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 7

Your cake is very - very nice!! thumbs_up.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

It looks great! I just did my first cake with the cricut cake this weekend. I got it to cut pretty good after some experimenting, but the cutouts were a pain to transfer to the cake. They kept wanting to stretch out of shape. I think if I hadn't been rushing, I would have had better luck. Any tips?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 7

Lovely work thumbs_up.gif

shearpamela Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 7

What I did was turn the cutting mat upside down above some parchment paper, then I gently used a thin artists pallet knife to release the design that was adhered to the mat with shortening until it dropped onto the parchment dry side down, shortening side up so it could air out and not stick. I patted them with a paper towel to dry the surface a bit more, cover with another layer of parchment and stick in a 2 gallon ziploc bag. Then I froze them until my cake was ready, thawed for about 30 minutes and it was easy to work with - still pliable.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 7

I'll have to try that. Like I said, I was rushing before which never helps anything! Working around a 13 month old is not that easy!

shearpamela Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! I was so intimidated after reading all the horror stories and hearing the frustration on the forums about the Cricut I was too scared to buy one for myself. But when Michaels marked it down to 99.00 I impulsively got one.
Reading all the posts and watching Linda's DVD helped tremendously. Getting it thin enough was key as well - I doubt I could have without my KA paste roller.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%