Crusting Cake And Cupcakes..why Does This Happen

Baking By milosmami Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 2:40am by cheatize

milosmami Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

My cakes and cupcakes have been crusting on the tops(which is ok for the cake because I level it) but NOT for the cupcakes. I just had to scape off the tops of all my red velvet cupakes so they wont have a crunch when you bite into them..Is there a reason for this, how do I fix it?

7 replies
blissfulbaker Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 8

Crusting frosting depends on your recipe. IMBC or SMBC does not crust.

Cakeonista Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 8

I think you mean the cake itself and not the frosting? You may be overbaking the, or your oven temp is too high. I bake my cakes and cupcakes at 325 even if i leave them in a little longer and also put them in the middle of the oven, the top rack will also cook them on top more.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:31am
post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

... the top rack will also cook them on top more.

how does that happen? The top element comes on if you are broiling something. When baking, the bottom element is the heat source. icon_confused.gif

brincess_b Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:16am
post #5 of 8

in my gas cooker, the top of the oven if hotter too.
could also be theres too much sugar in the recipe, although then the crust would have a a sugary look to it.

doramoreno62 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:17am
post #6 of 8

Yes, my top rack cooks faster too. I usually switch the pans around after 20 minutes or so, so they cook evenly.

Cakeonista Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 8

My top rack always makes my baked goods come out browner on top for aome reason.

cheatize Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

Same here. My oven is electric and the broiler element is at the top. I bake pizza by starting on the bottom rack to get a crisp crust then moving it to the top rack to get the cheese melted enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%