Getting Started With Fondant, Help!!!!

Decorating By CakesByTangela Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 1:54am by cdgleason

CakesByTangela Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

Hi CC friends, I am new to this site and yes it is awesome and very ADDITIVE!! I've begin to work with fondant and I it keeps bulging on the sides. Also trying to get to correct thickness of the fondant is very challenging. icon_cry.gif Any advice???

5 replies
Motorhead Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

i purchased a plastic rolling pin from Micheals which had color coded plastic rings on it that are interchangable. each color has a different thickness. so now i don't have to guess or use a ruler to determine the thickness of the fondant. i just pick the right color, put it on the rolling pin and bob's your uncle!
as for bulging, there may be multiple reasons, too much buttercream underneath, too thick fondant, air bubbles....

Cakegirl313 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 6

When attacing the fondant to the cake just make sure you are working with the "skirt" of the fondant a little at a time around the cake starting at the top and moving down as you go. This way you can make sure it is sticking to the icing and it is smooth. I prefer to use my hands first so that I can feel how it laying and then when I finally get to the bottom I use the fondant smoother all over the cake. This way you can try and avoid any problems. Just make sure to start at the top and smooth it all the way around and then move down a bit and go all the way around again all the way to the bottom.

cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 6

Are you letting your cake rest? It sounds like you may be putting your fondant on the cake before it has "settled". The cake needs time to release air (its kinda like a sponge filled with water, when you press down on it the water comes out) When you put your fondant on to soon it will also "squish" the air out of it and flatten and with the fondant resting on the cake board the fondant only has one place to go...out. Or it could be you are using to thin or to much buttercream in your filling between the cakes. Try making some stiff icing and creating a "dam" around the outside edge of the cake, but coming in about a quarter of an inch. Then you crumb coat your cake and let it rest for at the very least a couple hours. Barely mist the cake with water, so your fondant can move freely on the cake and will adhere to the cake. I know some will even put a ceramic floor tile or book on top to help squish the air out of the cake. I personally do not.

CakesByTangela Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips!! icon_smile.gif

cdgleason Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

there's a really helpful DVD for sale by Jennifer Dont's that has helped me so much!
it's called "the easy and tasty way to pefect fondant" and it was the best thing I've ever done to try to learn how to cover my cakes with fondant!
The recipe that she uses is a wonderful, silky fondant that never dries out while I'm covering a cake, and, I haven't had 'elephant skin' since I bought the DVD.
I also learned how to cover my cakes with nearly NO wrinkly, crinkly mess at the very base of the cake, and before I bought the DVD, I always had to hide the bottoms of the cake with ribbon or LOTS of, I don't have to put anything at the base of the cakes unless I want to!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%