Strengthen Cereal Treats?

Baking By slapsalmon Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm by slapsalmon

slapsalmon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slapsalmon Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there, first post and im desperately in need of help. I'm doing a cake for my sons birthday tomorrow, its a buzz lightyear 3d cake based on a toy he has.

The legs are made from chocolate rice crispy cake and the body is the actual cake part. The problem I am now having is the weight of the cake part is warping the legs a bit and im scared they might buckle.

Does anyone have a recommendation to strengthen the crispy cake so it will take the weight or do you think i should do the parts seperately and put it together at the last possible moment?

ps i havnt buttercreamed the cake and put the sugarpaste on yet.

Thanks.

6 replies
JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 7

I would put a dowel in them and then a cake board on top so that the weight is on the dowels. Jusl like you would stack a layered cake. You can also cover the treats in chocolate and let it set and that gives it strength as well.

slapsalmon Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 7

I had a feeling someone would say cover them in chocolate icon_cry.gif

I should have thought of this earlier. Its ten pm here and im right out of chocolate unfortunately. I have one plastic dowel and thin wooden skewer type ones but im unsure if these will be strong enough. I do however have a cake board seperating the two parts so i suppose all is not lost.

Have you any other ideas of what to coat the cereal legs in for strength?

thanks again

JawdroppingCakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 7

You can try royal icing.

slapsalmon Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

thanks, i was thinking that was a possibility. I have fashioned two dowels out of skewers clingfilmed together and they seem to be ok. I think ill put the two halves together at the last minute.

Would you cover the crispy cakes with buttercream then sugarpaste as you would with cake?

JawdroppingCakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 7

Yes you can, I do that all the time. Hope it all goes well!

slapsalmon Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

fingers crossed.
Thanks for the advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%