What Frustrates You Most...

Decorating By mslesuer Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 5:28pm by Cakefriendly

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

Writing on a cake! I feel my cakes looks pretty decent up to that point, and then I totally blow it. LOL

You should try getting a set of stamps--they come in all different sizes and fonts) and stamping the lettering onto your cake, then pipe over the top of the stamped impression. What's really great is that this works on both fondant AND crusting buttercream cakes!!

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #62 of 77

Driving with a cake in the car. By the time I get to my family or friends house with it, I am a wreck and head straight for the liquor cabinet.
I get the worst road rage when I have a cake on board.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #63 of 77

Indecisive clients. I find it really hard to believe that people don't at least have some idea of what they want when they pick up the phone or email. Maybe it's because I'm a control freak in all aspects of my life but seriously .... really you have no idea!! And then for those people to turn around and bag your ideas when you try to give them some inspiration aaargh.

Oh that and idea stealers. I don't mind helping people out but it's the 'friends' who phone to say they are making such and such's birthday cake and can they have my chocolate cake recipe and what would I do for a Tinkerbelle cake etc. I love helping people but this is my business, my lawyer doesn't give away his 'ideas' for free.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycaker

I would like to be able to go to my kitchen, flip on some tunes, and decorate a cake start to finish without being constantly interrupted. One of the downfalls to working at home is everyone seems to assume you're home, so you're available. So then a cake that should have been done by 5:00 isn't finished until 11:00. And by then, I'm no longer happy.

Yes, yes, yes!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:37pm
post #65 of 77

I agree with the Cheap People...those who want a quality cake at a supermarket price. I've had some of them try to negotiate the price. So I tell them to go to the supermarket and get one that's pre-made.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:45pm
post #66 of 77

Loving this thread!! Here are my peeves:

1. People who haggle, are cheap, and want a car shaped like a mustang for $50.00. icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

2. When people order chocolate or red velvet cake, but they don't want fondant. I swear it takes 2 hours just to cover all those brown or red crumbs.

3. Cleaning up after you airbrush a cake. Even when I use a board or cover to catch the spray, there is still color everywhere. (red is the worst)

4. Leveling. Until I get an Agbay, I have to pray everytime I use the Wilton one.

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #67 of 77

Well, I'm still very new to caking but hope to make it my profession one day, so this is helping me prepare for what may cause some major tantrums in my kitchen!

So far though, the things that get me are
a) my teeny tiny galley kitchen which is already full to the brim with non cake related cr@p (coffee machines, bread bins, spice racks etc) taking all my space up.
b) the fact I live in the UK and can't get hold of so many of the wonderful gadgets you guys swear by (SPS system, Cricut cake, Agbay to name a few), or if i CAN get them, they cost the earth to have them shipped.
c) my lack of excuses to make the cakes I have in my head! I currently want to do a Wizard of Oz themed cake and have it all planned out, but have no excuse to make it! And it costs too much just to make it for no reason icon_sad.gif

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #68 of 77

It frustrates me that I have a lot of ideas and no time to bake as often as I would like icon_redface.gif (I work part time and I have an active 2YO DD). My other dilemma is that my DH doesn't eat sweets icon_surprised.gif so I have to depend on my co-workers to taste test, meaning I have to lug everything to work.

I hate the cheap people that want quality cakes for free-ESPECIALLY FAMILY!!! icon_mad.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #69 of 77

Well, I haven't read any of the other posts, but I'm sure this will be a pretty popular thread.
My biggest frustration?

Champagne taste on a beer budget!!!!!

The general public just doesn't get how much time, artistry, and supplies not to mention overhead goes into a work of "edible art". Grrrrrr Now you got me started!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Cleaning up after you airbrush a cake. Even when I use a board or cover to catch the spray, there is still color everywhere. (red is the worst)

Gotta love red snot!! icon_lol.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:26pm
post #71 of 77

Not having the time or peace and quiet to actually decorate a cake without interruptions.

Getting my homemade bake even strips to stay around the edge of the pan. AHHHH

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #72 of 77

1. When friends of friends of friends or something, asking stuff like "Can you do a Tinkerbell?" me: "Sorry I can't sell copy-righted stuff.........(insert the long speech here)....". "How about Winnie the Pooh?" Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

2. Icing small cakes like 3, 4" cakes. My cakes are never firm enough to do those. And I hate firm cake so that's hopeless.

BeckiB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckiB Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #73 of 77

I cannot stand it when I am asked to do someone else's design exactly and then to expect a Cake Girls cake for a Wal-Mart price! I can't compete with prices on frozen cakes bought in bulk. I can lay on the couch and watch tv and make the same amount of money as I could working all day on a cake with some people's budgets.....which is nothing. And then people say I'm too expensive! Then you mold yourself 7 jungle animals,cover a 3 tier cake with fondant and animal print because I can't do that on an $80 budget! Thanks for letting me vent. I feel a little better now. icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #74 of 77

I get irritated doing the following...

Mixing icing
Mixing batter
Baking the cake
Leveling
Filling
Icing the cake
Smoothing the cake
Cleaning up the mess

I LOVE...

The smile on my 4 Year old's face when I was able to do his Spider-man Cake for his Birthday!

That last one makes it all ok!!

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #75 of 77

1.Rude people who schedule appointments then just don't bother showing up.

2.Annoying friends of the bride who think they're wedding planners

3. People who steal text and photos from my website...It's a pain to have to take the time to have their websites shut down for copyright infringement, but *sigh* I'll do it for the good of society icon_twisted.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #76 of 77

When a customer expects me to turn on my oven for 8 cupcakes -
like thats ever going to happen icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

No, i only bake by the dozen - not how many are seated at your luncheon table.

But i only need 8

Wellll, you can order 8 - but you will have to pay for 12

But i don't want 12

Madam, what would you like me to do with 4 cupcakes?

Maybe you and your family could keep them and eat them

*click*.................. Bluehue hangs up the phone. icon_biggrin.gif

Cakefriendly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakefriendly Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 5:28pm
post #77 of 77

What i hate the most????

i have quite a few things i hate...
to start,..my oven is too high therefore i have to bake at a lower temp and of course..it takes forever!!
the critical part is to cover the cake with the fondant ...i start sweating ( the AC is freezing),icon_smile.gif just the thought of getting cracks drives me insane!!!

but at the end is all so worthy !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%