Covering A Cake In Fondant?

Decorating By zefron Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm by MrsCnP

zefron Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 13

Every time I try to cover a cake in rolled fondant, it cracks on the top edge and comes apart from the fondant covering the top surface of the cake. I cover the cake with some butter cream before and I use ready to roll icing from UK stores. How can I prevent this? It's ruining my cakes. Thanks for any help

12 replies
jo3d33 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 13

Not sure what type of fondant you are using but it sounds like your rolling it too thin. If the fondant is too dry then you could try rubbing some vegetable shorting on it, that might help. Good luck.

zefron Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 13

I've tried rolling it thick, thin and sizes in between. I use regal ice ready to roll from Dr Oetka.

icer101 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 13

ok, i do know that you need to put shortening on your hands. Knead and knead and pull and stretch the fondant. Get it soft and pliable. Do not roll too thin,. the least i have seen other people say they roll is 1/8" thick. try rolling yours at least 1/4" thick , until you get the hang of it. If it is kneaded really well and soft and pliable , it will not crack at the edges,etc. work fast after getting it on your cake, etc. Cut off any extra as you go to get rid of it pulling down on your cake. At least this is what i do. Just try to work fast and i think you will see a difference. Kneading it really good is the best answer. hth

zefron Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 13

Sorry so sound dumb, but what is shortening? I live in the UK and have never seen it in the supermarket

lola52 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 13

I agree you need to use shortening and you really need to knead the fondant. You might even want to try marshmallow fondant, I find it easy to work with and easy to make. You also want to make sure our not rolling it to thin or thick. And make sure you are'nt stretching it too much.

amygortoncakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 13

Shortening is also called Crisco. Its basically lard...made of vegetable oil. Same consistency as butter.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 13

I make my own mmf using macsmoms recipe on this site...I have found that the addition of glycerine in this recipe really helps with the problem you are describing.

brincess_b Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 13

shortening is vegetable fat, look for trex or white flora.
i use the same brand, not had it tear like that unless its too thin. get used to working with it thiner, then you can start working on using it thinner.
xx

Emmar308 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 13

I find supermarket fondant is very dry and all my early cakes using this would crack - although i never tried the trex / flora white trick. In the end i decided to try a better quality sugarpaste and bought online - i found M & B's too soft for my liking, Covapaste is good and Renshaw's Regalice is by far my fave. It's much nicer to work with than any i've tried from the supermarket and covers well - never had a problem with cracking sugarpaste since! (famous last words ha ha ha!!!!).

lola52 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:53am
post #11 of 13

oh and make sure ur not letting it sit after rolling it outof it WILL dry and get crusty

Sam_paggers Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:58am
post #12 of 13

I also use the regalice and last night I had my first cracking experince! I knead it ALOT and coat my hands in shortening.... can I ask what you guys use to stop it sticking to the work surface?

Sam
xxx

MrsCnP Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 13

I have some of the same issues.... Purple M&B at the weekend cracked on the cake edges... I'll try the trex trick. Oh and Sam I use icing sugar on my work top to stop it sticking... Lots of it and lift it a few times and reapply the icing sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%