How Thin Can I Make The Fondant To Cover Cake?

Decorating By tbmichals Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 5:45am by zespri

tbmichals Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I like the look of a cake covered in fondant but not so much the taste. (Nor do the people that I'm making the cake for) Is there a way to roll the fondant out super thin so it won't be thick when they eat the cake or is there a way to take it off when I go to cut the cake, that won't take off all of my buttercream underneath?

6 replies
icer101 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

The thinnest i have ever heard was 1/8" thick. You difinetly don,t want to see your cake at all under the fondant. Most people just peel it off the slice of cake they are eating. You don,t want to peel it off the whole cake at the site. Some love it ,Some hate it, not matter the brand name. hth

tsal Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with icer101. You don't want it too thin (trust me, I've learned from experience).

I always thought that thinner was better because having a thick piece of fondant doesn't taste good, but people do just peel it off anyway.

LindaF144a Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with everything posted here. I was at a wedding reception yesterday and out of all the over 100 people served, only 1 asked for cake with the least amount of fondant possible and even then the bride told her you can just peel it away anyway. That being said i did not see one empty plate with the fondant off to the side.

tokazodo Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 7

I always think 'pie crust thin'. (1/8 inch) You don't want it too thin. It will stretch, tear and leave holes. I have stuck my fingers through it by rolling too thin.
My theory is this. A fondant cake is lovely. It's worth the effort for the look. If you don't like the taste of the fondant, pick it off. Yes, it appears to be a wast, but the aesthetics are far worth the effort.
I always try to put on enough buttercream, so that if the cake is eaten without fondant, it still tastes good.

Hope this helps,

tokazodo

tbmichals Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:29am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys. I will try rolling the fondant 1/8". Also, how thick can I get my frosting without messing up the fondant (it's appearance I guess)?

zespri Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:45am
post #7 of 7

Lost of people say marshmallow fondant is delicious, I've never tried it though. I'm with the others, I just peel it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%