How Far In Advance Can I Make Sculpted Rkt?

Decorating By tsal Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm by mommynana

tsal Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I'm carving some RKT for the cake that's due Sunday morning. How far in advance can I make it? I'm going to cover it in fondant and I can refrigerate it if necessary.

Thanks!

13 replies
tootie0809 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 14

I just had an RKT figure for a cake that is being picked up today. I worked on making the figure on Monday and Tuesday of this week and did refrigerate it until it was ready to be placed on the cake.

tsal Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:20am
post #3 of 14

Thanks! I was planning on working in them tomorrow so I'm happy to hear that they will be fine until Sunday. icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:40am
post #4 of 14

I've done 3 RKT toppers in the past (TeaPot, 2 bride dresses) and you can do them pretty far in advance.

Are they decorative only and not meant to be eaten? I don't think I'd put RKT and fondant in the fridge. Humidity and condensation may cause moisture and softening. Store in a cool, dry environment - in a cardboard box to keep clean and absorb moisture.

lapazlady Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:44am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

I've done 3 RKT toppers in the past (TeaPot, 2 bride dresses) and you can do them pretty far in advance.

Are they decorative only and not meant to be eaten? I don't think I'd put RKT and fondant in the fridge. Humidity and condensation may cause moisture and softening. Store in a cool, dry environment - in a cardboard box to keep clean and absorb moisture.




Good advice.

tsal Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 14

But I don't have to worry about the butter in the RKT going bad if I leave it out from Tuesday - Sunday? It is decorative only (although I may have to wrestle it away from my 4-yr old).

lapazlady Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 14

I don't add the butter, you can add white or dark chocolate (depending on the color you want in the final product) to make it easier to work with. (I don't measure the chocolate, I add several melted white chocolate buttons or a couple ounces of chocolate to a recipe of RKT.)

PattyT Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazlady

I don't add the butter, you can add white or dark chocolate (depending on the color you want in the final product) to make it easier to work with. (I don't measure the chocolate, I add several melted white chocolate buttons or a couple ounces of chocolate to a recipe of RKT.)




lapazlady: I do exactly the same...we must be separated at birth! After reading so much here on CC, I also leave the butter out and put a bit of white chocolate in...makes it firm up nicely.

One more small tip - not sure if it makes a difference, but I do it anyway, is to crush up the RK cereal a bit so the mixture is a bit more compact.

OP - the person who I made a teapot topper for kept it over a year and she said it stayed perfect till her hubby made her throw it out.

traci_doodle Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 14

When you say you use white chocolate is that actual white chocolate or is it the candy melts you buy at craft stores?

lapazlady Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

When you say you use white chocolate is that actual white chocolate or is it the candy melts you buy at craft stores?




I bought a 5 pound bag of white chocolate buttons from a store similar to Wilton and I presume they are candy melts.

blissfulbaker Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 14

Lapazlady and PattyT do you add the candy melts and omit the butter? Do you keep all the marshmallows for the RKT recipe?

mommynana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #12 of 14

i have never worked with RKT but im planning to. are they hard to work with?. is it best to buy them all ready made. or is it easier to make ur own??

PattyT Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 10:54am
post #13 of 14

blissfulbaker: Yes, just eliminate the butter and I add some of the candy melts near the end of the marshmallow melting, just before I add the RK cereal.

mommynana: I make my own. I think they firm up better. They're a bit finicky, you have to work fast.

There have been several very helpful informative threads on using RKT. Go to the forums section and do a search for RKT. Search titles only to limit results, or not to include more.

mommynana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 14

thanks pattyT. cuz i no they r expensive,to by them all ready made and if i never worked with them i don`t no if i want to spend that money rather try and make thm myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%