Breast Cancer While Pregnant

Lounge By SueW Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:14am by tigerhawk83

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 13

My cousin is 40 yrs old and was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer, she is also 6 months pregnant! Has anyone ever heard of this or knew someone this happened to? I am scared to death for her! How/can this be treated?

12 replies
mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:55am
post #2 of 13

I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know how they will treat this. With all the advanced medical technology changing everyday I am sure there must be a way.
I don't know what your religious beliefs are but I would like to keep you and your family in my prayers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:44am
post #3 of 13

Definitely things are changing everyday! My sister has brain cancer and has 2 brain surgeries, including a frontal lobotomy, since Feb '10. However, they tried a new medication (not sure if it's experimental or just new on the market) and it's actually frying the 3rd tumor, which we hope means no more surgeries. Her life expectancy went from practically nothing to upwards to 2 years! (That's literally a lifetime from what we had been dealing with!)

So dont' ever ever ever lose hope! It's frightening at first to watch a relative (especially one you're very close to) start down this path, but dont' ever ever lose hope.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 13

My husband was diagnosed with cancer in 1990. He was told that it was inoperable and there was nothing that could be done. We went to another doctor, he was given the strongest chemo available at the time, and it completely irraticated the tumor. He didn't even have to have surgery. It is now twenty years later, and even though he still has issues created from the chemo, he is still alive. Twenty+ more birthdays from what one doctor said was no hope...never give up hope. If you give up hope...then all is truly lost. The worst thing you can do is become negative. Always ALWAYS stay positive...and the family needs to give tons of positive support. Never say never. That being said, I would like to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 13

How it is treated medically, is up to the docs. How YOU treat it, is up to you. YOU FIGHT, all of you. Never give up and fight with heart and soul together. She will need all of you now, to give her the strength to fight this, and the baby needs you too. Don't show your fear, but only the conviction, that she can get over this, if you have to cry or shout, do it at home, never in front of her, she is scared enough. She has to feel and see your strength and belief in her, even if it will turn out bad, she will know, that you were and are there for her and her family

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 13

Things change in medicine all the time. Your family will be in my prayers.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/DetailedGuide/breast-cancer-treating-during-pregnancy

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 13

I have been a supporter(volunteering time) of the Susan G Komen foundation for years. This year my family is dealing with my Aunt having breast cancer and going through chemo now. The one good thing is that it is treatable. I suggest checking out the Susan G Komen site. You may be able to find more information there. Like a previous poster said, be strong for your relative.

I know for us to hear that my aunt has cancer it was as if the whole world stood still. No one in my family had been through this. My volunteer work allowed me to become friends with a survivor (5 years this past August), she was able to talk to my Aunt and give her the patient perspective. That half and hour meeting gave my Aunt a lot of hope for the future. Breast cancer effects many people each year. Some one here may know a survivor who went through the very same thing that your relative is being faced with.

There are many hard choice ahead for them. It's a a hard fight that deems a lot of support from the loved ones. Sometimes I feel so far away and powerless but a call at the right moment can help her vent.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. (No offense if you are not religious).

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 13

So sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif Unfortunately, some breast cancers are fueled by hormones that are raging now since she's pregnant. Most likely they will induce her early maybe at 37 wks or so and begin treatment ASAP. I hope she is aggressive and chooses the correct treatment. Truth be told, the younger you are when you're diagnosed, the more aggressive the cancer sometimes is. I have seen so many young women lately with breast cancer, it's really scary ( I work in ultrasound). She can beat it, my mom did...she's starting her 12th year of remission!! I will say a prayer for her and her unborn child.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #9 of 13

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was nursing her new baby, so it must have begun to develop when she was pregnant. She had a very aggressive cancer, so she had a complete mastectomy, plus chemo. 8 years later she is still cancer-free.
It can be beaten. Sending positive thoughts your way...

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #10 of 13

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your positive thought and prayers and I am not offended in anyway by prayers i'll take them all right now icon_smile.gif Basically my cousin has been "offered" 2 options and we know it is up to her but we are afraid she is headed down the wrong path with the way she seems to be leaning. They can do a lumpectomy then basically wait for her to deliver then give her massive doses of chemo. This frightens me since she still has 3 1/2 months until delivery. They also said she can have a double masectomy, then deliver the baby as early as 32 wks (not ideal but baby would be viable) then hit her hard with massive chemo.

My sister is a breast cancer survivor herself who had a double masectomy/ chemo and she is 6 yrs out cancer free thank god. Again we know it is my cousins choice but we really feel the surgery and delivering early then chemo is her best bet. My cousin called my sister for advice today and we are really hoping their talk will shed some light for her. We know this baby (her 1st) means the world to her but we feel if she waits too long to get treated she may not see his baby grow up.

I'm trying to stay positive. I just HATE CANCER, it has effected way too many people in my life icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:45am
post #11 of 13

If she is uncomfortable with any of the advice or just wants it reaffirmed, remind her that 2nd and 3rd opinions are options that should be exercised especially in situations like this. I've never heard of a doctor yet who was offended by someone wanting a 2nd opinion. My impression is that good doctors encourage it.

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:09am
post #12 of 13

I don't know how this things are cured but I sure am going to say a prayer for her and her baby. I'm pretty sure that miracles do happen even these days and definitely with the advance medical treatments we have, anything could be possible. Just be strong for her, the whole family in fact, you're all she's got. I'm sure she and her baby will get through this ordeal with God's help. icon_smile.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #13 of 13

I happen to be an oncologist - I do radiation therapy but know something about chemo. Many chemo drugs CAN be given during pregnancy as long as the patient is out of the first trimester. You can give the chemo first, during pregnancy, then after delivery do the surgery +/- radiation. One of my office secretaries has a daughter that went thru this exact scenario and is doing quite well now 2-3 years out from treatment.

This situation is becoming more common as women delay pregnancy - but apparently pregnancy does NOT predict a worse outcome. Most breast cancers feed on estrogen and the dominant hormone in pregnancy is not estrogen but progesterone.

If there is an academic medical center nearby - a university hospital with a medical school attached - I would certainly suggest a second opinion there. They will make the most up to date recommendations, but certainly can get any care they recommed closer to home if it's a transportation issue.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with any specific questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%