Royal Icing

Decorating By shoshi Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm by shoshi

shoshi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 6

What type of frosting can you put royal icing decorations? Every place I look tells me that fondant and buttercream will melt them..ha, so what do you do with royal icing? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:05am
post #2 of 6

Fondant and buttercream won't melt royal icing. Have you ever seen those "Happy Birthday" RI letters in the packages at the grocery store? They are made to go on cakes with icing.

When mixing RI, your bowl and utensils should be grease free so it can harden properly, but it can be piped directly on to BC or placed on. Any type of moisture; water, or condensation, can cause RI to melt, so you may not want to refrigerate.

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:37am
post #3 of 6
Originally Posted by shoshi

so what do you do with royal icing?

To be honest, I don't know what royal icing is really used for in cake world either. (I use it on cookies only).

I do everything pertaining to cakes with BC .... icing, borders, writing, roses, flowers, stringwork, "glueing" flowers and decors onto cake .... absolutely everything. Since my BC icing works just fine for all of this, I just never saw a need to use any other icing. Besides .... I think I'm just too lazy to make two different kinds of icing when working on a cake! icon_lol.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:12am
post #4 of 6

Of course Royal can go onto fondant! i use it all the time on it icon_smile.gif I also use it for glue, writing, borders . . I have done a couple of cakes totally frosted in royal, very old fashioned thing to do and not my cup of tea lol!

poomagoo Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 6

Although its quite a traditional cake decorating medium, I love royal icing - its so great to decorate with and you can even cover your entire cake with it (great for those that don't like fondant or buttercream coatings). I love the fact that you can pipe royal icing decorations in advance Its also nice for decorating cookies, doing brush embroidery on a cake and of course very elegant stringwork and run out decorations such a butterflies.

There are loads of fabulous examples of the use of royal icing on the internet. Here's an example of a brush embroidery cake I made a few years ago:

And a couple of nice ones I found on google:

Image This one has amazing royal iced side and top panels. (Made by Tracey Wagstaff)

ImageI love the design of this - I imagine it was very time-consuming to do but isn't it fab! (Made by Annie K. of Annie's Art Book)

ImageStringwork! Amazing skills. (made by Jill's Sugar Collection)

Its a shame that its a dying art but nice to know that they are trying to revive it back in the UK.

shoshi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all of you. I am making a Harley logo out of Royal Icing and am planning on placing it on buttercream frosting. I was getting nervous. If it turns out, I will post a picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%