There Has Got To Be A Better Way........

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 12:21pm by linedancer

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 12

Is there a recipe for MMF that is more like store bought....I have found it to be way too gooey or sloppy to work with...no matter how much cs I add or cs....I tried the one with jello...it felt really nice, soft and very pliable, only you cannot roll it out....so I need a different recipe....or I give up on home made and will only buy it.....anyone have a great recipe????

11 replies
goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 12

Not sure if this makes a difference but I have read here on CC that some marshmellows will not work. I think JetPuff is one of them.

This could make a huge difference.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 12

I use 1 package of big marshmellows with a little crisco and microwave that , then add the powder sugar a little at time. knead it and I let it rest then for a day before I use it. If it cracks or seems dry I just warm it slightly in the microwave and it works great.

madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 12

ok well I guess that answersvmy question pretty well......I will buy it from now on...thanks all

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:21am
post #5 of 12

I use MMF all the time. I'd rather use it then regular fondant. I must say though that you have to watch the ounces in the bag. My recipe calls for 10 ounces, and if you accidentally put a 16 ounce bag in instead...what a mess. I take a large glass bowl, rub in down with shortening, put in my 10 ounces bag of Marshmallows with a little water, enough to moisten all the marshmallows, microwave a couple of minutes, remove from microwave, stir in some vanilla/or other flavoring of choice until there are NO lumps. I have already prepared in another bowl about 3/4 of a bag of Powdered Sugar that I have sifted. I make a well in the Powdered Sugar and pour the melted Marshmallows in the well, using a large spoon greased with shortening I work the Powdered sugar from the outside of the bowl into the well. I keep doing this until the dough is pliable enough that I can start working with it with my hands. I grease my hands slightly with shortening and grease my trusty little vinyl mat that I got from Walmart for like 4.00. I scoop the dough out and keep kneading it adding sugar as needed. When it starts to feel kind of "stretchy/rubbery" for lack of a better term, I wrap it up in saran wrap or press and seal wrap and put it in a freezer bag for AT LEAST 24 hours. If you try to use it before that it will likely give you problems. You can use it, but it's just not as nice to work with. It will get hard. Just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. But be careful not to OVERHEAT. It will burn the bageebas out of you if your not careful. I really hope that helps.

madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #6 of 12

Thanks cabecakes....I have been using rhondas recipe for a few years now, and the thing about it is, out of the blue it will get crappy...I can't depend on it....it was no lie, like a friggen rubber bouncing ball this last time. I find that my cakes look so great with store bought fondant and the home made is just not as great looking....the last cake I have in pics is mmf, the 2 prior was store bought....look at the difference....I thought I had the mmf mastered but like I say its hit and misss at best....so I think I am going to work at making my bc look super smooth and do more bc cakes and just fondant for accents if I can....its so much easier with fondant I hate to throw in the towel, but I am disgusted with mmf right now icon_sad.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 12

I just had Rhonda's fail on me for the first time last week. After 3 tries, I was ready to throw the whole cake against the wall. I finally gave in to the extra expense and made a regular batch of MMF.

Now I have no idea where to go next for a MMF recipe. It's doesn't seem to matter in my kitchen how many people say a recipe is "great." I don't have the time, money, or patience for failures when it comes to covering an entire cake in fondant.

madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #8 of 12

Someone said certain marshmellows make it weird....I use the same all the time I think they are kraft....funny I am not even sure...just the name brand one....this last time honestly it was like a freakin rubber ball...you could not roll it out even....reall spongy

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 12

I make Michelle Fosters fondant from this site. I've never had a problem with it and it's beautiful t owork with!

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #10 of 12

ok is it true jet puff marshmallows dont work? I mean the only thing else is low quality crap....what else are you using?

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:18am
post #11 of 12

fosters recipe calls for milk...and I like to leave cake out....that would need refrigeration, would it not?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 12

No, there is so little milk and so much sugar that it doesn't spoil.

I use a mix of 50/50 Rhonda's MMF and MFF. Rhonda's has a really good flavor and mouth feel, Michelle's has lots of pliability. The two mixed gives me what I want. You need to mix two batches of MMF to one batch MFF. That makes about 10# of fondant. If I don't want so much, I cut Michelle's in half and add to one batch MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%