Cake Serving Party Style

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm by indydebi

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 10

I have a cake to do in December and she wants a 9X13 sheet. I will be ordering the magic line pan as I don't have the one in this size and am wondering how many servings you all have gotten out of this pan. In my area servings have always been a tricky thing because people expect more than the wedding sized servings. The cake will also be a 2 layer so that will aid in more servings as well-does anyone have a ball park number? icon_biggrin.gif TIA

9 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 10

I would say 30ish if you are cutting larger than wedding size

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 10

45 servings for a two-layer 9x13 according to the Wilton "party" serving chart:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:55am
post #4 of 10

Is it just me or does that sound like really tiny slices?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregal

In my area servings have always been a tricky thing because people expect more than the wedding sized servings.

If people expect the requested serving size to be larger; people should expect that the cost per serving will be higher.

So it's a win-win, they get more cake and you get more money! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy7953

Is it just me or does that sound like really tiny slices?

1-1/2x2x4 isn't a little piece, IMHO (since I can't finish a piece that large unless it's the only food being served at a party) ....

If you want "Jethro Bodine" size pieces (paraphasing Indydebi) you can have an additional slice or five.... But the industry standard is 1x2x4, so if the customer wishes to serve more slices or larger slices per guest - the price needs to include those extra servings or reflect the cost of a larger than normal serving size.

Wedding vs. Party serving size:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-665186-jethro.html

HTH

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:14am
post #6 of 10

I am sorry to have sounded like small servings should not be priced accordingly...I do totally agree with the pricing theory. I only meant that I want a PIECE of cake when I splurge! Not a nibble.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #7 of 10

You know when I read Wilton's serving sizes I thought it was crazy. I kept looking at a 6" cake and thinking no earthly way I was getting 12 slices out of that tiny thing. Well yesterday I took a 6" cake to my friend's Halloween party. I cut the cake because I wanted to see for myself. I was shocked to see that I actually really got 12 slices out of that cake. Granted these were "sensible" slices. But the cake is 4" high so a thin slice really is a good amount of cake. For my own personal tastes, I would have cut them a little bigger and cut a few less slices out of it. But still, I was amazed!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:36am
post #8 of 10

See my post on this thread for info on this same topic: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6980553-.html#6980553

maria, you give a wonderful example of why I am constantly recommending that cakers get the experience of cutting some of their cakes! I can't figure out how someone can comfortably tell a bride "this is how many it will serve and this is how you cut it" if the person has not ever cut a cake and have seen it for themselves!

Become the cake expert! KNOW what is involved, how to make it happen, and be the experienced (!) voice to educate the client and render that trust they are looking for when they shop for the person they will trust to do their special occasion cake! Dont' just assume the cake piece is tiny, or sufficient or too big. Do it ... see it ... KNOW it! thumbs_up.gif

(Mom-Finger going back into the holster as she rides into the sunset.....!)

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 10

thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I understand that business wise it is smart to keep the servings at the smaller size so they pay more for wanting more. The problem I keep having is that I get flustered because I always hear "wow, I really thought there would be more." I know the people in my area expect the sizes to be bigger. Then again, every thing keeps getting larger around here yet everyone wants the prices to stay the same hehe

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 10

adventuregirl, the way I handled that was to tell them, "I could make a 6" and 8" cake, which will serve between 25 and 35, based on standard servings .... about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich. If your family tends to cut cake bigger than that, you might consider a larger cake. So ..... will the 6/8" work ok or do you need to increase your order."

At that point, they have been warned and THEY have made the decision.

Also what cake civilians fail to consider is that when they want cake to serve 36, we will make cake to SERVE 36. If they want cake to serve 36 AND have some leftover, then they are really needing cake for MORE than 36.....and they have to tell us that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%