Want To Try My Hand At Cookies

Baking By MJTKNT Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 12:49pm by infinitsky

MJTKNT Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 8

Hi all, I want to try my hand at decorating cookies, and glazing them with very cute details, but I don't know where to start. Can you guys point me in any direction? I don't know what type of icing/frosting to use, how to make it, how to do anything! Please, instill me with your knowledge (or copy and paste threads you know about that cover this). I've tried searching, but I don't really even know what to search for to find what I'm looking for!

7 replies
MJTKNT Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 8

I haven't seen those. Thank you very much for your direction! That's exactly what I was looking for.

tastyart Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 8

Here are a few links that you might find helpful.

I prefer to use glace' icing and I like chocolate roll out cookies. Lot's of folks also like royal icing for cookies. The no-fail sugar cookie recipe is popular here as well. You can find that recipe here. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2055/no-fail-sugar-cookies

Justforfun751 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 8

I'm not especially good at sugar cookies yet, but Antonia74 has a good tutorial here on CC, plus she has an amazing recipe for royal icing that gets hard, but doesn't break your teeth! There are a ton of great cookie bakers on this site: For example, Drakegore posts some beautiful cookies, as well as GeminiRJ. If you prefer a slightly softer icing that dries more true to color, there are some wonderful glace (did I spell that right?) recipies floating around. I've been learning through looking at the cookies that I admire most.
My favorites are the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipie and Antonia74's Royal Icing. Hope more people post ideas for you!

infinitsky Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #6 of 8

I recomend you get the "Cookie Craft" book. That book is the reason I started baking and decorating cookies. It has everything you need to know, and I love the cookie recipes in the book, specially the chocolate one, from there you can keep learning from CC and many other online sources, like "sweetopia", "cookie crazy", "haniela", and many many more cooike decorators websites and blogs.
I really recomend that you buy the book!

EvMarie Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:29am
post #7 of 8

I'm still new at decorating sugar cookies. These are a few things I've learned about cut outs:

I found that I like my Mom's recipe for a more traditional sugar cookie. Lots of folks like the no fail sugar cookie recipe - - and it's great. However, I just gotta have my traditional sugar cookie. So.....you'll find, as you experiment that the NFSC (no fail sugar cookie) bakes with out puffing up and out too much. It makes it's nice for decorating, it keeps it's original shape pretty good. However, if you do the "double cut" like some CC'ers do, you can use a traditional sugar cookie recipe that bakes up puffy like normal. You basically, cut twice. Once when you roll out & then again, right after they come out of the oven. Cut again with the same cutter right on the cookie sheet. ( just don't burn yourself!) THEN....decorate the bottoms.

Also - I like royal icing. Lots of folks use Antonia74's recipe. And, lots of folks like to experiment with flavors. Don't be afraid to mix vanilla, almond, butter, coconut....etc. There are a lot of clear extracts to use in your dough and icing to make things interesting. In addition to royal icing, I have been really liking the Marshmellow Rolled Buttercream recipe on CC. It's a fondant alternative made out of marshmellows and shortening. If you look in my gallery you'll see most of my cookies are made with this rolled icing. Oh - there's also a chocolate rolled icing as well.

Have fun!

infinitsky Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 8

I just remembered this web site, the videos are super helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%