Help Making A Sphere Ball-Shaped Cake Please!

Decorating By bbcakescreations Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 7:17pm by bbcakescreations

bbcakescreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbcakescreations Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 8

Hello cakers!

I was wondering if I could please get some help making a round, sphere ball-shaped cake. I'm not sure how to carve it or even how to cover it with BC and fondant...I know that they do sell the sphere shape molds but I would love to make my own.

If any of you can walk me through it or point me in the direction of some tutorials it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
W.

p.s. My first post with this topic disappeared so I apologize if this is a double post

7 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 8

Hey!

I have iced a few sphere shaped cakes (in my photos)
I used the wilton ball pan... but you can bake it in similar shaped/over safe bowls!
Don't use too much batter - it will over flow lol (And place bowls on baking sheet in oven)
I had a spill once (On the sheets lol - not good - some how the pans tipped over)

Ice it like a reg. cake - make your dam - and give it a crumcoat - I cover it in a star tip - it always looks clean! I have not put fondant on the ball yet - but please post pics if you do!

Good luck!

bbcakescreations Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Deez...I was hoping to carve it out myself though. I saw something like this done on TLC...I do think covering it in fondant might not be too hard but the getting the shape and icing smoothed out might be a challenge.

Still hoping one of you out there might have some tips...thanks guys!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 8

My tip: buy the pan! Save yourself the headache! As long as the pan is big enough for what you need (it's about 6 inches in diameter, I think) take the shortcut. I'm sure you can find many more uses for the ball pan as well and having it come out of the oven the right shape is so much easier than figuring out how to carve a perfect sphere!

bbcakescreations Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys! The pan it is then icon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 8

My vote is for the pan too. Personally, I just don't think it's worth the hassle to do it yourself, but not everyone agrees with that. If the ball pan isn't big enough, there is also the Wilton Soccer pan (you would have to bake two, and you'd get a really big sphere!).

~Chelle

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 8

Sometimes you need a different size than the pan though - it's a good skill to have! I bake regular layers and torte the whole thing. For a 6" wide sphere, you need it to be 6" tall too (for cakes taller than 5", I split the stacking up into two cakes with dowels and cardboards in-between). Stack it up (chill or settle it if you need to) then start trimming it away with scissors or a nice, sharp knife. Use small cuts. The turntable will help a LOT. I don't flip it or anything to do the bottom part, just use a paring or serrated knife.

Your CAKE doesn't have to be perfect-perfect, but your ICING does. After all that carving, ice it over and use some sort of flexible plastic tool (acetate or a bowl scraper works great) to get your curve just right. Chill it down and make it more perfect in stages if you need to.

The middle tier of the cake below was done this way (except I left a flat bit at the top), I just cut the indent lines in after all that.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1846126

bbcakescreations Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 8

Kory, I just saw your response...thank you so much for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%