Where Do You Buy Your Wedding Cake Brooches From?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 4

I didn't think finding a wedding cake brooch would be such a task.
I spent the night looking for an afordable brooch to go on a wedding cake - not needed for a couple of months, luckily I've given myself some hunting time.
I searched ebay and the internet, some seem expensive because they are literally a jewellry peice, others the wrong shape - allowing icing on the back to ooze through to the front.
Am I looking in the wrong place, are there literlly cake brooches or do I search for actual jewellry?

3 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:49am
post #2 of 4

I purchased an inexpensive brooch at Michael's and made a silicone mold use Amazing mold putty. This way you have a mold to use on future cakes. You can paint brooch with pearl, silver or gold fondant glaze, add pearls or edible gems. I love Amazing mold putty. I have made several different molds even tree bark.

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:26am
post #3 of 4

I never bought brooches. That was the bride's responsibility to provide any "odd and unusual" decors that I didnt' stock. If she wanted a stuffed monkey with a bowling ball in one hand and a banana milkshake in the other on her cake, she'd have to find it. I am not a personal shopper ... I am the baker.

Here's how I view it ..... if I can't find a certain something for a cake, the bride will whine and cry about how I just RUINED her cake because the item she wanted couldnt' be found. But if SHE is the one who can't find it, then it becomes a different story and she adapts the "oh well we'll just hvae to do something else" shrug-the-shoulders attitude. I just chose not to put myself in that position.

The brides I had that did use brooches tell me their best source was the local antique malls. Big selection ... good pricing.

Sweet_Toof Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 4

Sounds good thanks heaps guys
I've gone the el-cheapo- hopefully it works well.... I have decided to mould myself a round piece fondant to the exact desired size, paint silver metallic, then I purchased a pack of adhesive rhinestone crystals that I will glue on! Wha-lah, $2 brooch icon_smile.gif
Hopefully it turns out as well as I've described.

Quote by @%username% on %date%