-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 5:01pm
post #91 of 135

well dang it, denise

i hope it starts cooperating soon!

deniseob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deniseob Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 4:52pm
post #92 of 135

Thanks K8memphis! I really do love that pic its so cute!

poohster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 10:39pm
post #93 of 135

I too am dissapointed with this mat, the first time i used it it seem to work fine just like the video i watched. But like another user I found it realy hard to roll out and was so exhausting so the next time i used it i put a little trex/shortening on the bottom piece of the mat which didnt realy help but my fondant seemed very sticky once placed on the cake that i couldnt use my smoother.

I have washed my mat with hot soapy water to remove the trex thinking that this may of made the fondant sticky but its still happening every cake I have made since the fondant is too sticky to smooth, weather I use supermarket bought fondant or a good quality one.

I am very dissappointed and dont think i will be using it again,  i purchased the proffessional mat which was not cheap, one unhappy customer

icon_sad.gif

poohster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 11:01pm
post #94 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak 

I only read the first page, but I have to give my feedback also.

This week, I was ready to THROW MINE IN THE TRASH. It is a magnet for every piece of anything flying in the air.

Am so glad its not just me then, i thought i was doing something serioulsy wrong, even to the point off only drying my hands on paper towels so not to pick up fibres from my hand towel was begining to get paranoid icon_mad.gif  never even considered the fact of the static in the mat could be causing all the tiny hairs/fibre  etc that i was fiding on my fondant, another reason not to use it. icon_sad.gif

deniseob Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 12:47pm
post #95 of 135

I was at a show recently where a lady was showing it in a demo. She was using the middle sized mat, (I have the pro sized) It looked new and it worked fine for her. Perfect even! She advised me to use some trex to rub in and then wipe off to stop the little holes I'm getting in my fondant when I use it. I have tried it and the results are the same, still getting the little holes. The only other difference was she was using a thicker (older sytle rolling pin) to mine but she even used the same brand of fondant as I use so I'm thinking its something that works for some folks and not others. I never got a reply to the manufacturers on advising how to deal with the issue but hopefully will get something back soon.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:44pm
post #96 of 135

I have had the mat for a year and I love It.  I did a fondant test last year comparing 7 or 8 different types of fondant, and found that some are sticky and stretchy and hard to work with.  These also had a tendency to stick to the mat.  Without referring to my notes, I believe it was Duff's and Fondarific that are very soft and sticky.  I also found that there is a trick to working with the Mat that makes a huge difference.  Forgive me if this has been already mentioned;  I only skimmed over the prior posts.  I also don't recall this maneuver being stressed in the instruction video I watched last year.  The trick for me is to "release and flip"  frequently.  As the fondant is rolled out, it does tend to stick to the mat, and then becomes more and more difficult to get to roll out further and starts to grab and ripple.  (Just like rolling out cookie or pie dough with saran wrap - you must release the saran wrap now and then so the dough will spread and not stick.)  Another important factor of course, is finding the right fondant that handles well.  I use mostly Massa Grischuna or Carma Tropic, both of which handle beautifully.

1) place fondant between the 2 layers of the mat.  (I make a disc freehand, or with a roller on just the lower Mat at first to get a head start).

2) roll out from the center several times as shown in the video,

3) when it stops spreading as easily or starts to ripple, peel off the top layer and lay it back on again.  Then flip the whole thing over, and peel off the bottom (now top) layer and replace.  

4) Roll out this new side a few times until the spreading slows, and/or ripples are occurring, and then "release and flip" again

5) repeat.....

Each time you release, you can check for and pop any air bubbles.  The releasing prevents wrinkles, facilitates spread,  and keeps it from really sticking at the end.

Just before placing on the cake, release the mat to see which side looks best and should be the outside.  With the good side up, release and replace the mat and pat or roll a time or two to just slightly stick it down.   Flip it over and  peel off the Mat.   It is ready to apply to the cake.  When finished and on the cake, the outer exposed surface should be nice and smooth, and should have separated easily because it was pre-released.

HTH!

ldnursetx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldnursetx Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm
post #97 of 135

I am fairly new to fondant and was looking for an easy way to roll it out.  I ordered both the home Mat and the one for professionals. I must say I did have difficulty at first, but the last two times I used it, it worked just like the video shows.  I, like many others, tend to push the fondant more than roll, when using the Mat.  I for one will continue using my Mat, especially when I have to roll out larger pieces of fondant.

deniseob Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 3:43pm
post #98 of 135

I will certainly try that method and thanks so much for that Yortma! What you describe makes sense to release and flip over frequently.  I so want it to work as I love the way you can roll the fondant thinner and don't need to use anything on your worktop when rolling out.

deniseob Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 10:35pm
post #99 of 135

Yortma your advice worked a treat! I released and flipped the mat each side very regularly and laid it back down and I got a great result. Any little marks were

easily dealt with using a fondant smoother. You've restored my confidence in The Mat! Thanks so much!

LittleBroccoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBroccoli Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 10:59pm
post #100 of 135

AI have one in its tube sitting on top of the fridge. Used it a few times but I always seem too roll too thin with it. Plenty of cornflour or icing sugar, working quickly and picking up with my forearms (washed!) Works best for me. Sorry Mat :-(

yortma Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 11:46pm
post #101 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseob 

Yortma your advice worked a treat! I released and flipped the mat each side very regularly and laid it back down and I got a great result. Any little marks were

easily dealt with using a fondant smoother. You've restored my confidence in The Mat! Thanks so much!

Yay!

NicciZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicciZ Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:07am
post #102 of 135

Apologies if this was covered...I didn't read all 17 pages of posts. Any advice on when/how to ise a smoother after placing fondant with the mat. I'm having triuble with edges and corners

yortma Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:45am
post #103 of 135

When to use a smoother depends on your fondant.    If possible, use it right away to smooth over the surface and shape the edges, before it dries out too much.  However, some fondants are a little sticky at first.  In that case let it dry for a few minutes until it is no longer sticky and then smooth.  

LittleBroccoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBroccoli Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 7:12am
post #104 of 135

AOr dust smoother with icing (powdered) sugar

deniseob Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:37pm
post #105 of 135

Hi NicciZ,

This may help you getting sharp edges http://www.inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/fondant-cake.html

NicciZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicciZ Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 7:05am
post #106 of 135

A

Thanks so much. I'd actually seen this video months back when trying to make ganache but really didn't pay attention to the rest of the information provided.

deniseob Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:12pm
post #107 of 135

Mine never looks as good as hers but here's hoping practice makes perfect! :)

Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 9:39pm
post #108 of 135

AI have never made a cake without the mat it was one of the first things I bought and I've never experienced the problems your having, I never put shortening on my mat after the first use though and I always soften my fondant in the microwave before trying to roll, it's a million times easier. I am starting to get creases appear in it now though even though i always roll it up and store it properly which is frustrating.

chowarth576 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chowarth576 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:42pm
post #109 of 135

AI love my mat the first use was tricky and it sometimes seems to take ages to just let that top mat off the fondant but well worth it for thinner fondant and good results don't use any corn starch or shortening tho

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 1:07am
post #110 of 135

AMy disappointment with THE MAT was the oddest thing. Was I able to roll yes, I was using fondx which is quite soft. The mat came with a piece of parchment like paper in between. Which had some static.. I kept seeing some very tiny black lines in the fondant. After I removed the top vinyl. I kid you not it looked like eyelashes. TRUST ME they were not mine. I was grossed out, and through out the piece of fondant and rolled it out the old fashioned way. Before putting it away I lightly coated it with shortening, hoping to trap any loose hairs. Honestly I rolled it up and have not used it again. I was unable to return it because I bought it while out of town. I know it probably just needs a good wash, but how the hair got in between the mat. I do. It undersatnd :(:(

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 1:24pm
post #111 of 135

I just used my Mat for the first time (just for practice) and I must say...IT IS AWESOME! I rolled in half the time and there were no bubbles.  I also have a Cricut Cake that I have had for a year but, couldn't get my fondant rolled just right for it to cut correctly. I used my Mat and guess what? My thickness was correct for the Cricut.  I am so glad that I invested in this product.  I need to add that I have not used it for a cake yet, just to practice and use my Cricut. I really did think it was easier to roll and on the plus side, I didn't have the cornstarch mess that I normally have.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 8:54pm
post #112 of 135

Which size mat did you buy?  Do you get pop marks/craters on your fondant with the mat?  Thanks.

nikki1227 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:05pm
post #113 of 135

ANope...no poc marks. It was smooth. I did have a problem with my MMF sticking, then I realized I was using the wrong side! l still wound up using the Satin Ice that I had. I will try my MMF again though. I bought the home mat iust because of counter space. I really think it just takes some practice. I love the fact that there is no mess.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:29am
post #114 of 135

I bought The Mat years ago when I first started working with fondant, it worked fine except that it picked up every little fibre around not matter how careful I was, and yes it took muscles to roll the fondant out.  I had a few lessons with a very experienced decorator and now will never go back to using The Mat.  For me it was all about confidence, improving my skills and increasing my speed and now find using The Mat a hindrance rather than a help. It is rolled up in a cupboard gathering dust along with my Cricut.

mommiespoppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommiespoppies Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:53pm
post #115 of 135

I did have problems the first few times I tried it.  But I fortunately played with it a few times before using on a real cake.  It defiantly helps to play with it to season and soften the mat.  I never use anything else now.  When the Pro Mat came out I got on the wait list and am getting ready to order another one just case something terrible happens to mine and I have one on stand by.  If you season and play first you will become addicted.  Hope this helps

CakeDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDay Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 3:32pm
post #116 of 135

I like the Home Mat because I can roll my fondant so much more thinner which as an accountant I like because that saves me money.  More importantly though I noticed that before I started using the Home Mat, people would just tear off the fondant and eat the cake and leave the fondant behind.  I realized the thick fondant was like a wad of chewing gum which wasn't very nice to eat.  When I was rolling out fondant without using my mat, I just couldn't roll that thin because it would tear on me when I was trying to move the fondant from the counter top to the cake.  I think this is the best advantage. 

They have a lot of positive reviews on their website at the bottom of the below link.  It looks like a lot of the reviews on this thread are positive too.

http://sweetwise.com/the-mat-all/http-sweetwise-com-the-mat-all-http-sweetwise-com-the-mat-all-the-pro-mat-html-the-pro-mat-html/the-pro-mat.html

nikki1227 Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 6:32pm
post #117 of 135

I love my Mat. I am still having trouble with MMF though...any ideas?

CakeDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDay Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 12:20am
post #118 of 135

What kind of problem are you having?  I'll ask Kathy at Sweet Wise for you.

nikki1227 Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 12:26am
post #119 of 135

AI am having a problem with yhe MMF sticking to the mat. I did get on the website today and more powdered sugar in the fondant was suggested. I am going to try that. That's the only problem I have had. I love it! Thank you so much for the reply.

skat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skat Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 9:37pm
post #120 of 135

I am so sorry you were so disappointed in "The Mat".  I just wanted to add this for others information.  I have been using the mat as well as the small one like it for about 2 years now in my bakery.  Even though I don't hand roll my fondant anymore since I have a sheeter, which was the best thing I ever purchased, The Mat has NEVER given me any problems.  I don't use cornstarch, the 50/50 mix, or grease to coat the mat ever.  If the fondant is kneaded to the smoothest consistency I simply lay it on "the mat" pat it down to the thinnest I can to start the sheeting process which I start with about a 3/4" depth with both the top and bottom parts of "The Mat" in place and start rolling it out.  After putting my frosted cakes in the freezer while running the fondant through the sheeter I remove my cake from the freezer and lay it directly onto the table not my revolving cake stand so as not to create more pressure on the fondant and preventing stretching and then simply start the fondant peeling off the top portion of the mat.  I have never had a problem at all doing that and the mat has been so great I have a second set ordered.  I would recommend "The Mat" and it's sister products to everyone.

Thanks for listening to one very satisfied customer.  Sally

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%