Officially Disappointed With 'the Mat'.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 24 Feb 2018 , 6:15pm by jchuck

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #61 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds-and-rust

Damn, SO SORRY for asking a simple question regarding getting a refund on this product **picking head up off of the floor and backing away from the computer**. I was under the assumption that this forum is the appropriate place to ask such questions. I simply was inquiring if anyone else has approached this company regarding getting a refund for this product. It seems to me that other companies are fair game for unending criticism (Wilton, for one), but a few members of CC take every little criticism of the MAT extremely personally....as if the had a vested interest in this company. I did not have a good experience with this product, and I feel that I have right to voice my opinion regarding this matter. And I am not the only poster who has had problems with this product. And Linda, I do not appreciate your dictating to me about what I may and may not post. Have a SUPER day.

I apologize for my wording. I did not want to make it sound like you were getting your head cut off. And you can criticize any company you want, i am not defending them. I just said that if you want your money back, you should contact them. By posting here they may not know you want a refund unless you contact them directly. And yes, it will not help you to get your money back to post here.

You totally, totally read my message wrong. It was supposed to be to HELP you, not criticize you wanting a refund, your dislike for any company and certainly not to dictate to you nor anybody on what they can post. I am not the owner or a moderator on this board. I am just another anonymous figure typing words, which i guess means you will try to cut my head off in return for what you felt. That is exactly how the slippery slope to ugliness starts. I will read this message in my head in a tone that is not defensive nor filled with hatred as i will give you the benefit of the doubt, not like you gave me. Quite frankly it is a lttle hard to do, but i am not going to get into a pissing match over this. I will apologize again - i'm sorry - and leave it at that.

I do accept PMs also if you ever decide you did nit like my response in the future.

VenusCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VenusCake Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:09pm
post #62 of 135

I emailed the company about having trouble with poc marks. They emailed a few days ago to let me know they put up new video on their youtube channel called "troubleshooting and pock marks no more" Their suggestion worked perfectly! If youve had any trouble w/ The Mat, you should check out their video. After only a little bit of frusteration with this product, I'm now in love with it!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #63 of 135

Here is the video...

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:13pm
post #64 of 135

Linda, I am truly sorry if I took your advice in a spririt in which it was not intended.....that is the trouble with forums such as this....subtle nuances of the spoken word are missed, written words can be so easily misconstrued. Again, please forgive me.
Cathy

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #65 of 135

Thank you Suzisweet and VenusCake....I will be certain to check out the new video...I truly do want to be able to use this product successfully.
Cathy

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:49pm
post #66 of 135

Thanks, VenusCake & Suzisweet for that video link. I was researching the blue Ateco, then decided to buy The Mat after so many on another thread were raving about it, then reading this gave me pause. After seeing the new video, I decided to go ahead and give it a try for myself.

Just want to pass along, that I ordered it at 12:30 and by 1:10 had received a shipment notification for USPS Priority Mail. FAST service. Can't wait to get it and see for myself. I'll post back here with my comments after I try it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #67 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds-and-rust

Linda, I am truly sorry if I took your advice in a spririt in which it was not intended.....that is the trouble with forums such as this....subtle nuances of the spoken word are missed, written words can be so easily misconstrued. Again, please forgive me.
Cathy

Cathy - Thank you. I completely understand. I'm sure I did this in the past too. The good news is a short memory is sometimes a good thing. icon_wink.gif

FullHouse Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #68 of 135

Okay, so I finally had an opportunity to try The Mat (which arrived in two days when I ordered it). I wanted to use it on a cake for my own family so if I had issues it wouldn't stress me as much. I used it on my son's Black Belt cake (in my photos) and I couldn't have loved it more. I did not have any issues whatsoever with fondant pitting or sticking.

I rubbed a light as possible coating on one side, wiped it off with a Viva, pressed the other side of the mat on top and rubbed over the top to get the shortening on both pieces. I then separated the 2 pieces and rubbed each again with Viva to get any excess shortening off.

Rolling out took a little more strength than I usually use, but I think this was because I had a really temperamental batch of MFF (it had been stored in a vacuum sealed bag in my pantry and my pantry was ice cold this morning so I had to kneed the fondant forever and it was still really stiff and quite crumbly. DH came over and in 5 seconds flat rolled it from the 13" square I had it to the complete 23"x19" piece I needed (either I'm a wimp or he's Hercules - guess the fact that he has about 60 lbs on me might help too).

My batch of fondant was not only stiff, but SUPER crumbly, it was the kind that you just know, no matter what you do you will have cracks at the corners and along the sides as you try to smooth it. And that's IF you're lucky and it doesn't break as you're trying to move it because its crumbly and a HUGE 23x19" piece.

After rolling it out, the top piece of The Mat peeled up beautifully. I was still quite nervous as to what would happen when I tried to release the bottom over the cake and again for when I needed to smooth the sides.

I inverted The Mat over my 13x9x4" cake and began to pull it away from the fondant. I just peel back the 1st tiny bit, then pulled it taught like in the video. A DREAM!!!!! NO CRACKS!!! NOWHERE!!!! Not even on the corners. Worked like a charm the very first try.

When I rolled it up to put it back in the tube, I had rolled it about 1/4" too wide, at that point I tried again quickly, but was rushing because we had to leave soon. Again, DH to the rescue - he rolled it up in under 90 sec. I'm sure that process will get easier with use as well.

Thank you Sweet Wise, I LOVE this product!!!!

mommyoffour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyoffour Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:52am
post #69 of 135

hello everyone!!! the mat isnt 15 dollars its 17.99 plus tax plus 10.00 shipping but i think it's worth it

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:30am
post #70 of 135

I've said it before and saying it again.....I looooove my Mat! I will admit it wasn't love at first use. My 1st use was with MMF and not the overly powered/dry MMF that would've probably worked with the Mat. No it was the wet, sicky MMF LOL so needless to say that 1st try ended ugly!!

My 2nd and every try since have been flawless! I use Satin Ice, a wiped off seasoned Mat and a good rolling pin. It rolls like a dream and covers perfectly. I also Love love that I don't have lint, dust particles, hair etc getting onto my fondant when rolling!

Ps......the vinyl sheets at wally world etc.....not so food safe, unless carcinogenic chemically manufactured products are now food safe?? Not so much! It may save money but seriously the Mat...... its $17........let me repeat.....$17 and no cancer or wally world cheap and cancer......hmmmmmm? icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:54am
post #71 of 135

I have the mat, but have not being able to enjoy it cos of small kitchen space,i tried but couldn't lay the mat flat enough to roll my fondant,bujt it worked a little, the problem was just space.I sprayed it with oil spray the first time,wiped off excess and it was fine.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:59am
post #72 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

I've said it before and saying it again.....I looooove my Mat! I will admit it wasn't love at first use. My 1st use was with MMF and not the overly powered/dry MMF that would've probably worked with the Mat. No it was the wet, sicky MMF LOL so needless to say that 1st try ended ugly!!

My 2nd and every try since have been flawless! I use , a wiped off seasoned Mat and a good rolling pin. It rolls like a dream and covers perfectly. I also Love love that I don't have lint, dust particles, hair etc getting onto my fondant when rolling!

Ps......the vinyl sheets at wally world etc.....not so food safe, unless carcinogenic chemically manufactured products are now food safe?? Not so much! It may save money but seriously the Mat...... its $17........let me repeat.....$17 and no cancer or wally world cheap and cancer......hmmmmmm? icon_smile.gif

I concur! My first FEW tries was with MMF and no matter how I tried to modify the recipe I just couldn't get it to come out well. It would stick and get pockmarks, etc... I figured out some tips to minimize my problems but I still felt it was more trouble than it was worth.

I recently tried Satin Ice and now I love The Mat! It works like a dream, no mess to clean up, I can roll it out and afford to be distracted a bit by my toddler running around because it won't dry out waiting for me.

I really think the majority of the problems come from the MMF/Mat combo. I don't think the MMF works well with it, or at least not my recipe!

theSugarQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theSugarQueen Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:46pm
post #73 of 135

I ALWAYS use MMF and THE MAT is something I can't live without.....however, I dont use it as it is designed. I roll my fondant out on 1 of the mats, with NO PS or CS. and it works just fine. I LOVE it because i can "lay" my fondant over the cake to see if I have rolled enough and pick it up and roll it out some more to make it bigger. I havnt had alot of luck rolling it out between the two mats yet...I think i just need a heavier rolling pin like the one they suggest.

But the BEST part of using them that I have found is cutting out the smaller decorations out of MMF or MMF/gumpaste mix. I dont have to use any ps or cs and it cuts down on alot of the mess and doesnt make my decorations dry out before I'm ready for them too. This works GREAT with zebra stripes or anything that i use with a cutter!

Definatly one of my favorite purchases ever!!! And I agree too with just paying the money for these and knowing that they are food safeicon_smile.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 9:31pm
post #74 of 135

I use to think the Mat was the best thing ever - for the first few cakes anyway. Then it developed "stretch marks" I never folded it always layed it flat and then right back into the tube it came in. The marks transfered to the fondant of course. Sweetwise didn't stand behind their product. Offered me a whole $5 off another one. They did say they had 4 or 5 other complaints like mine and they have improved the product. I offered to send them the defective product. I am disapointed they did not stand behind their product more.

FullHouse Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:33pm
post #75 of 135

Just remembered this post and wanted to update that while I did love The Mat at first, I had issues after just a few uses with it creasing and stretching. See this thread for more details: http://CakeCentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7262531#7262531

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpJane Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:41pm
post #76 of 135

I guess it only works with Satin Ice?

But we all have to remember that Satin Ice rolls on anything, easily. No powdered sugar needed, no cornstarch. I've rolled Satin Ice with nothing, on parchment for small jobs, and on the beautiful silicone blue mat, the one that's been used successfully by top-notch decorators for how many years now?

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:45pm
post #77 of 135

I don't know about satin ice bc I've never used it and am not about to start bc I'm happy with my homemade MMF. Tastes delicious and works beautifully (unless I'm trying to use the Mat) every time. I'm very disappointed bc I live in France and had to pay more than the mat costs in postage but figured it would pay for itself and well....

mommiespoppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommiespoppies Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 4:48am
post #78 of 135

I have had my mat for 9 months now and would never use anything else. They just came out with one with sizing on it and when I get through writing this I am ordering it. Dont know why some people have had trouble. I always make sure I keep my 2 sheets together(inside to inside) after I lay the fondant on my cakes, so if something is flying around it dosnt adhere to the inside. The only time I have to re-season it is when I give it a good cleaning. If you have had trouble with it I hope you will give it another try because it is great. I tried the vinal from wal-mart once and one it didn't work and 2 it smelled like chemicles which I didn't want to pass on to my customers.
Cheers

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 12:03pm
post #79 of 135

I have the 'pock marks' trouble with The Mat. I clicked on the video link that's suppose to show how to eliminate the problem. The link didn't work. Anyone know where to find the video

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 12:49pm
post #80 of 135

OMG! I love my mat! Can't wait to get the new one with the markings. Then I will cut the other one into smaller pieces to use for smaller projects.

I use mine with Michelle Foster's Fondant Recipe.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 1:20pm
post #81 of 135

Lynn3

Here is the link you were looking for. By the way, I have the Mat and cannot rave enough about it. I don't use a commercial fondant, as all I ever use is MFF, so I don't have any experience with the others. It sure does make "fondanting" easy for me now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K996n3hYds4&lr=1

Jan

lmcwilli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcwilli Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 10:06pm
post #82 of 135

I purchased the Mat a year ago but have not used it, I can not get the wrinkles and ripples out of it no matter what I have done..so, as with many other too good to be true items that I have purchased...it sits in my supply closet. I think I can use it to cover my table when the Grandkids do crafts

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 10:24pm
post #83 of 135

imcwilli, did you happen to view the link I attached above? She addresses some of the difficulties a few have encountered. Your particular issue was mentioned in one of the comments below the video. I'v copied it in the event you missed it. I hope it helps you move The Mat from the kids' craft closet to its place of prominence in your cake room!

Quote:
It said you were going to explain how to get the ripples out of the mat, but you didnt explain it. So how is this done, because I have quite a few in my mat. Thanks!!

Sorry for the delay! I DID leave that out! Sorry! Well, we will be re-filming a lot of these and will make sure it gets in next time. Depending on how bad they are, if not too bad (just from rolling it up), you can likely get them out by simply rolling The Mat in the opposite direction of the ripples. You can also roll up one sheet tightly, then the other one around it. The vinyl memory works for you here. If still bad, try soaking in hot water in the sink to soften it, wipe dry and roll tight.

SweetWise

The Mat saved my fondant career. I've been using fondant for 10 years (Wilton, satin ice, homemade) and I've never found it easy to use. Re-rolling, ripping, stretching, air pockets, I was going to rip my hair out, but The Mat saved me. I wish I had one of these years ago.

Simply wash in the sink with warm soapy water, rinse well. Wipe dry with a dry paper towel, then also AIR DRY, flat. The Mat needs to be very dry, nothing for the fondant to stick to. The sheets should be fine now, no need to season again, but if you do have any bit of static electricity, instead of shortening, this time use a light spritz of vegetable spray (NO FLOUR!). I do see people do this often; we think we'll make a new video to prevent it! Tks! icon_smile.gif

End quote.

I've taken the liberty to cut and paste the comments, as I've only recently gotten satellite internet service. Prior to that I had a ridiculously slow dial-up and seldom had the opportunity to view videos. I do think that watching it will help you gain confidence in The Mat.

Jan

Zuhlay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuhlay Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 4:45pm
post #84 of 135

Can't wait to try it. I ordered months ago and am still waiting for my MAT to be shipped.

deniseob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deniseob Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 3:38pm
post #85 of 135

I was so excited to buy it too and I constantly use it in the hope that it will get better. The issue I have is that little bits of the fondant stick to the mat and so when I drape it over my cakes it has little holes which no amount of rubbing can fix perfectly. I've tried it with and without shortening and find the result is the generally same. I'm hoping with prolonged use that I may be able to break it in?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 3:48pm
post #86 of 135

denise, that would be so frustrating!

and you are kneading your fondant really well before rolling it out

so that the whole ball of fondant is all equally warmed up & primed for battle

like 50 kneads or something

(disclaimer--i don't have the mat--i use an older one sided version of that idea but i'm gonna get one any minute now ;)

i just wanted to offer a possible idea because i want it to work for you

Sugardaddies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugardaddies Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 4:21pm
post #87 of 135

I also purchased the full size Mat and the smaller size for smaller projects. I  had an awful time at first with sticking and rippling. Using drier fondant works better for the sticking for me but does make it much stiffer to roll out.  I still get rippling. As a novice I do find it easier to manage covering the cake using the mat and letting it fall away from the mat. Hoping as I get more comfortable working with it, I will have more success with it.

deniseob Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm
post #88 of 135

I would knead the fondant as much as I would have before I purchased the Mat K8memphis (cute doggie pic by the way) but I'll certainly try giving it an extra workout on a dummy cake tonight in case thats the issue! Thanks so much for responding!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 5:07pm
post #89 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseob 

I would knead the fondant as much as I would have before I purchased the Mat K8memphis (cute doggie pic by the way) but I'll certainly try giving it an extra workout on a dummy cake tonight in case thats the issue! Thanks so much for responding!

i hope it starts being a nice reliable tool for you

re: the pic--thank you!! he curls up around your neck--

we have both our best head shots there including the back of mine

icon_lol.gif

deniseob Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 3:08pm
post #90 of 135

No joy with the extra kneading. It turned out as bad as previous attempts and I ended up rolling the old fashioned way on my worktop. I'll keep checking

out other folks posts to keep up with tips. I do want it to work it has great advantages over using a worktop. Thanks! X

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%