Clay Extruder Problem..please Help!

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 3:29am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I got a new clay extruder,,the makins make,,but it's plastic, not metal..you know, the green one. It came with a lot of attachments too. My problem is that when I use it,,I can't get the fondant to press through really well. They say it has to be soft and thinned out,,but I used Satin Ice and mmf really soft, but it's soooo hard to push through..sooo....

what kind of fondant do you use for this and how can I fix this problem??? So frustrating because I want to use all the attachments soo badly?

Thanks for your help!

Jenifer

8 replies
Karen421 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 9

I use all kinds of fondant and gumpaste, but I have the metal one. Still - when I load the tube I roll out the fondant to about the size of the tube then I rub Crisco all over it and load it. That's what works for me. HTH Good Luck

icer101 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 9

i do as karen421. never any problems.

artscallion Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry, that green plastic one is useless. All of the push/squeeze ones are. You need to get the green metal one that has a cross bar that you twist around. It's as easy as pie. My first one was the kind you have to push (like a hypodermic needle) It was absolutely impossibly hard to force anything out. I tossed it and got this one and never looked back...

http://tinyurl.com/2f57qdl

Ramute64 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 9

I put fondant in microwave for couple seconds and works very well.

FlourPots Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 9

I always microwave my MMF, then rub a little Wilton glycerin on it (not in it), before it goes into the barrel...it's also made with 1/2 c. Crisco mixed right in with the MM's, so it has that too.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

The plastic and metal "push" extuders are really pretty worthless. The barrels are short and you have to do too much to get the fondant soft enough to push thru it without hurting your hands.

I use the Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder--green metal extruder with a "T" twist handle on it. The barrel is 2x as long as the others and you only need to add a very little bit of crisco to the fondant in order to get it to work very easily.

You can google the name and lots of sources come up. Joanne's and Hobby Lobby carry it, too.

http://www.buy.com/prod/makin-s-professional-ultimate-clay-extruder/q/sellerid/28739661/loc/68687/217365363.html

I consider it one of my best investments for cake decorating.

HTH
Rae

mommynana Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:05am
post #8 of 9

i have one of those push ones and they r worthless, im diff. going to get one of the ones that turn, but dose anyone have a prob. with air in them everytime i try to use it, it pops and their is a bubble in the fondant/gumpaste

jenscreativity Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #9 of 9

awesome..I agree! I only paid like $2 for this one,so I'm not sad if it doesn't work..I'll invest in the professional metal one then! Thanks to all for your advice! Awesome! Awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%