Where To Start???

Business By mareg Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm by homebasedbaking

mareg Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 8

I have been offered a chance to bake and make my cakes at a local pre-school kitchen. It's in California. Will it be possible to get a license using that kitchen? If so where do I start. I have scoured the health dept web pages and I'm lost.
Thanks in advance!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 8

CALL them.

mareg Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 8

That would be great if I could talk to a LIVE person!

mareg Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 8

That would be great if I could talk to a LIVE person!

mustang1964 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 8

Go to your local heath department they should be able to help.

jason_kraft Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 8

If you can't find someone on the phone, go to the school during business hours and speak with the facilities manager or the person responsible for the kitchen, ask to see the inspection certificate. If they have a certificate, you will probably still need to get a certificate for yourself for that kitchen (contact your county health dept for more details). If they don't have a certificate, then the school may need to make significant improvements (which they probably won't be willing to do) to bring it up to code.

Don't forget to take out liability insurance for yourself before you start selling anything.

mareg Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:18am
post #7 of 8

Ok thanks. I'll start with these. icon_smile.gif

homebasedbaking Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 8


Since it appears you might be possibly renting this kitchen facility, here is a link to a checklist that will provide you with some questions you'll want to ask. Here's the link:
http://homebasedbaking.com/peek-inside Scroll down to the Kitchen Incubator Rental Questionnaire. It's a free download and might be helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%