Vegan Buttercream?

Baking By gina_ann Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 10:30am by gina_ann

gina_ann Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have a good recipe for dairy-, soy- and egg-free buttercream? I have a butter substitute but it melts so quickly that I don't think I'd be able to pipe and decorate with it. I need something more sturdy for doing decorations.

Thanks!

14 replies
JanH Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 15

Have you tried using shortening instead of a butter substitute?

All vegetable non-hydrogenated Spectrum:
(Palm oil.)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FA1DG4/?tag=cakecentral-20

HTH

gina_ann Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:14am
post #3 of 15

Ooh! I didn't know anyone made a non-soy shortening. This is fantastic news. Thank you!

CakeMom5001 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 15

I have used that before in cookies and works great. Not sure where you are located, but Earth Fare carries it and I think so does Whole Foods.

JessDesserts Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 15

1/2 cup soy margarine, softened
1/4 cup soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice
3 cups Veganized Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Using an electric mixer or in a large bowl with a hand held mixer, place the soy margarine and soy milk, and cream them together. Add half of the sugar, and beat well to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to beat the mixture until light and fluffy.

*Note: For a Berry Frosting, add 1/4 cups mashed fresh or frozen berries, such as raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries.

For a Chocolate Frosting, add 1/2 cups cocoa powder or 1/3 cups melted vegan chocolate chips.

For a Coffee Frosting, substitute cold coffee or espresso for the soy milk in the recipe.

For a Mocha Frosting, substitute cold coffee or espresso for the soy milk in the recipe and add 1/4-1/3 cup cocoa powder or 3-4 T. melted vegan chocolate chips.

You can also stir in chopped nuts, chopped vegan chocolate, shredded coconut, or chopped fruit into the basic Vanilla "Buttercream" Frosting recipe to create additional variations.

This is from the Vegan chef website.

HTH & GL

jess

cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #6 of 15

I'm not at home this weekend, so I don't have access to my cookbooks........but I'm sure I've read in a vegan cookbook a recipe for buttercream that used coconut oil (it's actually solid at room temp.)

A quick google search turned up this, but maybe you can find more like it:

http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=2259&catId=11

beenie51 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #7 of 15

you could use any all vegtable shortening and for the liquid water. You could also mix non- dairy creamer with hot water for the liquid. Vanilla and butter extract for the flavors.

cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie51

you could use any all vegtable shortening and for the liquid water. You could also mix non- dairy creamer with hot water for the liquid. Vanilla and butter extract for the flavors.

Umm, it's not as simple as that. Most (all?) vegetable shortenings have soy in them (OP stated she can't use that.) Non-dairy creamers are a misnomer--they have milk derivatives.

CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #9 of 15

Here's a question (I am not vegan or vegetarian)....

Why the no soy? I thought vegan meant no eggs or dairy b/c they are derived from animals but soy is a plant.

Just curious...

cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #10 of 15

Soy is completely vegan, but many people have soy allergies. Don't know if that's the situation with the OP.

gina_ann Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

Why the no soy? I thought vegan meant no eggs or dairy b/c they are derived from animals but soy is a plant.

Just curious...

It's because of allergies. My daughter can't have eggs, dairy, or soy. It was just easier/clearer to put "vegan" in the title rather than "dairy-, soy-, and egg-free". icon_wink.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina_ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

Just curious...

It's because of allergies. My daughter can't have eggs, dairy, or soy. It was just easier/clearer to put "vegan" in the title rather than "dairy-, soy-, and egg-free". icon_wink.gif

I sooooooo get that. We have complicated and multiple allergies and food sensitivities in our family. Going out to eat with all of us is a hoot!!!!!!

CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 15

Gotcha. That's rough and doesn't leave you many options. Hope you can get that soy free shortening.

JessDesserts Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #14 of 15

I didnt see the "soy-free"part, sorry.

gina_ann Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:30am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

I didnt see the "soy-free"part, sorry.

That's okay. If I can find the soy-free shortening (that doesn't cost a small fortune) then your recipe will be handy. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%