Cake Dryness And Simple Syrup

Baking By Mikail Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 4:03am by Mikail

Mikail Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

Something's going on and I can't figure out... I've been baking all kinds of recipes and they're turning out great (moist and all). I've received some comments though from friends that their decorated cakes are kind of dry or very dry.

I've never kept a decorated cake at home. I called a pastry chef friend of mine and walked him through the usual sequence of baking, freezing, thawing, and then frosting, decorating with fondant, etc Told him that I usually prepare these decorated cakes a day in advance.

He think it's because I'm not glazing them with simple syrup (which I don't do). This is driving me nuts because my home cakes are wonderful and moist for days... He says that the frosting, decoration and all dry out the cake and that I should start using simple syrup to ensure the cake remains moist.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What did you do?

5 replies
JanH Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know how frosting and "decorations" can cause a cake to become dry. icon_confused.gif

Frosting seals the cake's surfaces so that air can't dry it out, so it actually helps retain moisture.

Are the cakes being refrigerated upon delivery? If so, refrigeration is notorious for staling bread and would also hasten the staling process of cake (especially cut and not properly wrapped cake).

There's no need to refrigerate cake unless either the frosting or filling are perishable. And then the cake should be allowed to come to room temperature for serving, since cake (especially butter cakes) can be perceived as dry when served cold...

Using a simple syrup wash will add flavor and some moisture to a cake, but it won't make a dry cake moist (unless you drown the cake in syrup).

What type/s of cake are you decorating, as a sponge cake can be perceived as less moist than a butter or pound cake, IMHO.

What type of frosting are you using? Is your frosting smooth and creamy?
Dry frosting isn't appetizing on any type of cake....

Mikail Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your response. The latest one was a white chocolate mud cake.Before using this recipe, I tried it out at home and it was wonderful and moist. Then I baked another batch for decoration.The others were your usual chocolate sponge. Same thing... The problem is I don't feel they're dry. I think I should bake/decorate a cake and leave it at home and actually try it out myself to see what they're talking about... Believe it or not, I've given away every decorated cake I've made. All the recipes I use are from cake decorating books such as Confetti, Debbie Brown and Planet Cake. I mostly use Confetti's and Planet Cake's recipes and they're wonderful but something happens with the decorated versions.

LindaF144a Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

I notice you are from kuwait. I think you can't get the same type of flour we get here, correct? Bleached flour. That maybe why we get different results if this is true. If your pastry friend is local, i would take his advice.

It is true as the OP said that these things should not dry out a cake, but this may not be the case in your neck of the woods. Mother nature plays a part too. Is it dry, humid, near the ocean, in the desert? All these things contribute to what takes the moisture out of cake.

Try a simple syrup on ypur next cake. Or take cupcakes and put the simple syrup on halfand leave the others plain and see what you like. That would be the best test.

Stephy42088 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

I have used some recipes from Confetti and received comments that it was very dry....although I believed it was moist when I baked it so you may want to look into other recipes too.

Mikail Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all, appreciate your response icon_smile.gif Actually I will check whether the flour is bleached or not; we do have a wide variety of products in Kuwait. Yes, the weather is a factor here especially when it's extremely humid, the decoration does get affected inspite of the airconditioning, etc. Otherwise, it's dry weather. I'm starting to think it may be the recipes. I will test some this weekend and see what happens. Also, I use the convection setting in my oven so when baking will keep a close watch... Next week is my son's birthday and that'll be the real test! Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Quote by @%username% on %date%