Married Cakers: Were You Happy With Your Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By tsal Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm by cakemama2010

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 30

I was *so* not a bridezilla. I brought a picture of a simple 3-tier round buttercream design with no piping work on it. All it had were gumpaste rose petals strewn all over it. I told the caterer that I would be happy with real rose petals on it in case the gumpaste ones were too much work (this was when I was a muggle). My mistake was that I left the designer's name on it: Sylvia Weinstock. The caterer literally laughed at me and said, "That cake is worth thousands of dollars!".

To make a long story short, I left the tasting unsure of what I was getting (mil insisted on using this caterer as she was paying for it). What I got was a 2-tier offset basketweave (I am not a fan of basketweave) with ugly silk roses popped on top. The piping was crooked and the tiers were so shallow that it got lost on the sweet table and lots of people didn't realize it was our wedding cake as opposed to just another dessert. Oh, and we didn't get a piece because there was not enough!

Dh had a great idea: he said to make the cake I wanted for our anniversary instead of griping about my wedding cake. I agree!

I'd love to hear other stories good and bad! [/u]

29 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 30

Btw: I never said anything to the caterer or MIL as I know she paid hundreds of dollars for it and would feel awful if she knew I was unhappy. Like I said, I was *so* not a bridezilla!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 30

My cake was nothing like I ordered..Instead of smooth buttercream I got piped zig zag all around the cake.
There cake was supposed to have royal icing flowers piped on wires and it look nothing like the photo.
Total dissapointment!
Edna icon_smile.gif

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 30

I was very happy with my cake but she didn't put the monogram on the cake like I wanted but other than that it was a very beautiful cake. I had a white on white hexagon shape cake with bc icing and pink lilies.

Sissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy_Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 30

I loved my wedding cake. I couldn't wait until the pictures were over so I could go to the reception to check it out. I even had a picture taken of just me and the cake! I think my husband feelings were a little hurt when I told him to get out of the picture.

tilly41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tilly41 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 30

Loved my cake. Square, cascading tiers, each tier was a different flavor/filling with fresh flowers. My family didn't believe the cake was real! It was exactly what I wanted.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 30

I liked mine- 'cuz I made it myself! I wanted something very different that tasted awesome. It was a 4 tier tiramisu cake covered in piped and then baked meringue flowers. I thought it was beautiful, most of the guests thought so too- but I did get a couple of "that's interesting" type comments, lol. Everyone thought it was the most delicious wedding cake they ever had though, people still talk about that. It was awesome- with a light tiramisu mousse filling on the outside and those crisp, airy meringue flowers all over it! I didn't get a good pic of it though- it was too dark in the venue and I had no plans at the time to be a cake decorator and wasn't concerned with portfolio pics.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 30

I loved mine.....it was just what we wanted.

My sister-in-law didn't even get the right cake---they delivered someone else's cake to her venue....

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 30

My mom made my cake..she is a decorater also...Loved the color..Hated the icing but that is all she uses....It was floating tiers...It was a pretty design..Don't think I had any though....

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 30

I hadn't seen my fiance for over a month, when we met in Texas the week before the wedding to finalize the plans. I spent so much time with him that my mom ended up ordering the cake. I truthfully didn't care. It was a 3-tier white-on-white buttercream with real red roses separating each tier (I think). Ha ha! Some bride I was. I just wanted to get married! icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 30

I ordered a 4-tier cake from a great Italian local bakery....white buttercream icing with white cornelli lace covering every inch of the cakes! VERY simple design....the florist was placing flowers on each tier as they were offset. I specifically told them NO SWAGS, as I hate swags!

I received a 4-tier cake, correct flavors and color (how hard is white), BUT, each tier had swags and the cornelli lace was covering the tiers all over ABOVE the swag line, and smooth buttercream below the swag.

Now, I could have griped, but it was still a lovely cake and the flavors were to die for....so I was happy! And, had other things on my mind at the time! Found out later that my cake was mixed up with someone elses....she got mine and I got hers! How ironic that they were so similar in design and flavor!!! I think she got the better cake icon_wink.gif

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 30

I loved the flavor of my cake. However, her scroll work wasn't very good. It also had a ribbon around the bottom of each tier and on the bottom tier she had the side where the ribbon comes together showing. I wasn't very happy with that. I was also upset that the kitchen cake we got in another flavor (that was also awesome) was left in the kitchen and the stupid caterer never served it. That wasn't my cake person's fault though.

Once our anniversary comes around I'll probably make a 6 inch cake for me and DH, but I'll do something really elaborate like what we would have liked, but couldn't afford.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 30

A friend made it as a wedding gift, it was an artificial cake, icon_rolleyes.gif back then (27 years ago yesterday) I just don't recall it being that big a deal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

How ironic that they were so similar in design and flavor!!! I think she got the better cake icon_wink.gif

I was delivering a cake to a popular venue where it was common for 4 or 5 or more receptions to be going on at the same time. Another cake lady pulled up the same time as me. I looked at her cake and burst out laughing. She looked up in surprise (I mean someone is laughing at her cake!) saw my cake and burst out laughing. We were both delivering square cakes with purple ribbon and scrollwork! To the same venue ... on the same day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My first cake was LONG before I discovered doing cakes myself. Ordered from the ONE bakery in town. My aunt picked it up for me and 3 or 4 of the women in my family figured out how to assemble it. It was over 30 years ago so I dont' remember the taste and barely remember the design.

My 2nd cake (current marriage) was made by me. Covered in red BC roses (although why I had a BLUE topper made is beyonnd me!) and if you look in this pic, http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2688048092/ , you can see that I used white plates and clear legs .... you can see the white plate legs inside the clear pillars! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Geesh, I WAS a bride because I didn't even notice that until I got the plates back! What a mah-ROON!!!! (But I liked it!)

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 30

I loved our cake. My sister made it and my dd helped decorate it. It was a white cake with white frosting. but it was so delicious, even the anniversary tier was still moist. My dh says that it was the best cake he ever ate, still. LOL.
it was 4 tiers with the ever so popular fountain and staircase, and silk flowers. lol But it done beautifully.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 30

I loved my Wedding cake, My MIL made it and she is one of the reasons I became interested in decorating, my cake was a simple three tier with columns, lemon flavor iced in butter cream with blue and yellow roses, but it was beautiful and tasted awesome, DH and I did eat our Anniversary tier and it still tasted great!

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 30

I loved my wedding cake (at the time) as I made it. Would I change things now if I had my time again, most probably. Times change and my skills have increased. My cake was a 3-tier stacked heavy fruit covered in fondant and then stucco iced in royal icing, red fondant roses on top and spilled on the base of the other tiers. The red roses were a wink at my sister as it was her favourite flower and had passed away before the wedding.

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 30

I took in a picture of a simple 3 tiered white fondant cake with some sugared flowers on it. Told him fresh flowers were fine too. He assured me that he knew how to sugar flowers. I chose my flavors and left. What I got on my wedding day was a shiny buttercream tiered cake with curled up flowers plopped on the edges of the tiers. The middle tier was pinkish because the strawberry filling had/was running into the buttercream. I was very disappointed but wasn't much of a bridezilla and never said anything...mostly because the cake tasted fantastic and that was more important to me.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 30

[quote="indydebi]
My 2nd cake (current marriage) was made by me. Covered in red BC roses (although why I had a BLUE topper made is beyonnd me!) [/quote]

The blue topper had to match your husbands blue tuxedo! Love it. icon_biggrin.gif

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #20 of 30

My wife picked out the design and I made our cake. Three square tiers, buttercream, all white, covered in lattice and filligree work. Topped with real holly and a silver wedding cross. Real holly surrounded the base.
Married three days after Christmas 36 years ago.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #21 of 30

our wedding cake was long before i even thought about caking - it was just a 10 inc round chocolate cake iced with white chocolate with a Me 2 You bear bride and groom topper - i just wasnt into weddings at all , i just wanted to BE married rather than GET married so the flowers etc were just an afterthought -

saying that now im a wedding cake junkie and if we ever renew our vows im having a 4 tier extravaganza all made by me!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 30

Wow! What great stories. What a great wedding gift to your bride, foodguy!

Everyone should upload pictures of their cakes!

My brother-in-law made the cake -- very simple (which was just what I wanted) and delicious. He owned a restaurant at the time and "dabbled" in cakes but had never done one for a wedding.

I did not dabble in cakes myself until many years later.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #23 of 30

icon_sad.gif No such luck! Mine was a shotgun wedding! I hope I can make an anniversary cake for our 15th this year!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:26pm
post #24 of 30

I loved the look of my cake but I honestly can't remember what flavor or filling we had.

I had a Martha Stewart mag w/a dead simple, plain white cake w/fresh flowers between the tiers that I showed to the coordinator at our venue. She laughingly pointed out that it was a FONDANT covered cake that would cost an arm/leg and that most people would not enjoy it anyway.

I wasn't doing cakes at the time so I let them point me toward a plain BC cake w/fresh flowers between the layers. My florist did an awesome job on the flowers and the final product was lovely. Guests were surprised out how simple/elegant it was. It was only 12 years ago but wedding cakes were still fairly elaborately piped so plain was different.

Kristy

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #25 of 30

Yes, b/c I made it and I loved it!

5-tier with only 2" difference between tiers because I love the tall towering look. Gumpaste flowers in ivory, cake iced in white chocolate SMBC. Each tier was different: pink confetti with white chocolate, mocha hazelnut, white chocolate raspberry with choc. cake, carrot cake with cream cheese and the top tier was all chocolate.

Loved it!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:46pm
post #26 of 30

When I got married 30 years ago, I had my heart set on a "bridge" cake--a central tiered cake with bridges on each side, holding bridesmaids & groomsmen, ending on 2 satellite cakes.

We had about 100 attending the wedding, $75 budgeted for the cake (that was VERY reasonable). The cake I wanted served 150--there's a lot worse in life than leftover cake icon_lol.gif When the baker told me that it was $150--unheard of at $1/slice--I broke down crying and ran out of the bakery. He took pity on us and told us to pay the $75 we had and to send him the rest of the $ when we could.............

Day of the wedding, my DH-to-be found me crying again, sobbing, "They're BLUE, they're BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!" My REAL bridesmaids were wearing a dark dusty violet--no blue anywhere--and I'd given the baker a swatch of the fabric...................and on the cake were DOZENS OF BRIGHT BLUE ROSES and 3 bridesmaids IN SHOCKING PINK icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

I was so mad, I could have marched to the bakery, 2 blocks away, and thrown the cake in his face!

It tasted fine (standard white cake with American buttercream icing) and if you were color blind, it looked nice.

We took our good, sweet time sending him that extra $75..........He got it about 3 months after the wedding.................

To this day, if something is ugly or if something is obviously wrong with a cake, one of us will wink at the other and say, "Oh...........they're BLUE!"

So, NO, I wasn't happy with my own wedding cake.

Rae

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:51pm
post #27 of 30

We really loved our cake. It was from a place called Servatii's here in the CInci area.

The bottom tier was carrot cake with cream cheese icing filling...and the others were chocolate with apricot. I had never had filling in a cake and agreed on it after the saleslady suggested it. It was DELICIOUS!

THe design was simple buttercream with deep purple piped roses. I really loved it.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:56pm
post #28 of 30

Hell no! it was a gross white cake with the brightest blue and yellow piped flower decorations that looked like a 5 year old had made it (although actually some 5 year olds have done better jobs!) that started to melt and tilt and slide within minutes - although in their defence i have to say it was 110 degrees and the hotel supplied the cake for a wedding abroad. Even so it was grim - but gave us all a good laugh. it tasted grim too - I do believe we left it behind on the table icon_smile.gif This was a loooong time ago and of course before I did cakes myself, so it won't ever happen again!

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:25pm
post #29 of 30

I got married in Jamaica so I did not have much choice on the cake. It was very small and very simple. I was not a fan of the taste but the look was ok. Now that I am in to cake decorating, our anniversary cake is going to be just what I would have had on my wedding day. We still have the top layer in the freezer. We may never eat it.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #30 of 30

I married my husband before I married cakes so I had a two tier beach theme cake from Publix (gorcery store!). I actually loved the design and I remember that the taste was acceptable, also. Although now I'm sure I won't ever order a grocery store cake again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%