Calling All Grammas...

Lounge By Luffie Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm by Gingoodies

Luffie Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 26

I am a first time gramma, my grandbaby girl is 4months old. Is it just me or is being a grandma almost better than being a mom?

I feel kinda guilty saying that because I love being mom to my kids...But being Nannie to my little sweetie-I love her so much sometimes I'm afraid I will squeeze the stuffing right out of her! She is amazing, beautiful and so incredibly sweet.

I love my kids, they are awesome individuals, I'm extremely proud of them and love spending time with them, but when my g-baby hasn't been around in a few days I go through withdrawal and miss her horribly.

I had her overnight for a few days while my daughter and her husband attended a work obligation...The night she went home I dreamt I lost her, I woke in a blind panic looking for her in our bed. I yelled at my husband 'where's the baby" ...he woke, said in a you-are-an-idiot voice "uh hello, she's at home...where she should be...." . This was at 3am, so I guess he was a little unappreciative of my panic in the middle of the night lolzz...

Am I bordering on being a psycho gramma or is it perfectly normal to adore your g-baby like crazy. It's hard to explain how amazing it is...

Is it just me?

25 replies
7yyrt Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 26

NOPE!

Being Grandma is better!!!!!!!!!!!
All grandma's darlings are the best... especially MINE!
And they're payback for all the trouble the kids caused you... LOL

(P.S. If you want my grandma blinkie, use this between the img tags)
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/GrannyLeah/Smilies/grandmaBlocks2.gif

Luffie Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

NOPE!

Being Grandma is better!!!!!!!!!!!
All grandma's darlings are the best... especially MINE!
And they're payback for all the trouble the kids caused you... LOL

(P.S. If you want my grandma blinkie, use this between the img tags)
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/GrannyLeah/Smilies/grandmaBlocks2.gif

..."especially mine" Yup you got it too!! lol I'm trying to tell everyone that will listen how amazing my little sweet baby pie is.

lolzzz it's funny how my mom looks at me like I'm crazy, I'm telling her "no seriously mom, you just don't get it - it's so awesome being a gramma"...she's icon_rolleyes.gif uh huh, okey uh huh

Luffie Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 26

I love your blinkie - but not sure how to get it in my signature...I'll do some digging around for instructions

7yyrt Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 26

You just skipped the / in the end one - It goes [img] put the URL here, no spaces [/img] .

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 26

I LUV being in the gramma club!!

I have a unique and really cool situation in that I work at a hotel and we give a special dirt-low rate to people who stay at our hotel because they have family in the hospital right across the street. when someone checks in under this rate, I usually ask them if they have "Family having surgery or having a baby?" The ones who tell me it's their grandchild, I (and my co-workers) make a BIG deal about "Welcome to the Gramma Club! It's the BEST!!!"

My oldest grandchild is 8 and I STILL remember the thrill the first time she cried because she didn't want to go home ... she wanted to stay at gramma's house. And she ended up staying the night! icon_biggrin.gif

My 3 yr old grandson calls the game "Operation" the "Cheesy Foot" game (he likes trying to get the ankle bone and somehow we ended up calling it the cheesy foot) and whenever I babysit with them, he always wants to play "Cheesey Foot" with gramma!

They came over last Wed. Gramma had homemade cookies and KoolAid bags. On the way hme, he tells his mom that "gramma is a great girl!"

Yeah .... being Gramma is the BEST!!!!

beenie51 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 26

I agree being a grandma is the best. Not that I don't love my 2 boys, but my grandchildren are the tops!!!

All4Show Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 26

I made a pathetic Toy Story cake for my grandson for his sixth birthday. After he blew out the candles he looked at me and said, "Grammie, you did a great job. I love you." Made me me cry. My kids were NEVER that sweet that I can remember.LOL

neecerator Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 26

I love being a Grandma. We have 3 and one on the way! I like the bumper sticker that says, "If I'd have known how much fun it is to have grandchildren, I would have had them first." icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Luffie Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 26

lolzzz that's high praise "great girl"...so sweet icon_smile.gif

It's so hard to explain how awesome it is...Last night my hubby went to their house for boys night - UFC fight on TV, so my daughter came over for a sleep over with the baby.

As soon as she saw me she started bouncing in her seat, little legs kicking, her sweet little voice cooing, huge smiles and giggles. I pulled her out and she grabbed both sides of my face and pulled me in for her version of a kiss...It's more like a mouth bite and a growl but I'll take it as a kiss anyday!!!

I can't get enough of her, glad to hear I'm not the only nut job that goes ape-crap for grandbabies!

icon_smile.gif

casme Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #11 of 26

Being a grandma is the best thing in the world , it's better than chocolate, cake, candy etc. I make sure every time I have my grandsons we do fun things together. We laugh and play the whole time. They are the word to me. I KNOW when I am gone they will always remember grandma!!!!!! Welcome to the greatest club in the world grannie.

debbief Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 26

awww I love this thread icon_smile.gif Yes I agree, being a grandma is the best feeling ever. I have a 10 year old grandson and a 3 year old granddaughter. I love my kids too but you're right, it's a whole different feeling. Welcome to the club icon_biggrin.gif

luv_to_decorate Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 26

It is great being a grandma. I have 5 now and 2 on the way. I love them all. The oldest is 16 and the youngest right now just turned 3. The 3 year old got to go to the country fair with us this year. My husband who they call PawPaw calls it the PawPaw fair and looks forward to taking them every year. They start getting excited about it in July. I have had several cookie, cupcake decorating times with them on holidays. They come over on Valentine's and spend the night and we have a scavenger hunt in the house and eat spaghetti or chicken fingers and of course cake. Yep, nothing like grandkids.

bakingpw Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 26

Absolutely better!!! I'm "Ama" to 16 mos. old Joey and baby #2 is on the way. I babysit him every week day and it does not get "old". I've been and done a lot of things in my life, but AMA is THE BEST!!!!

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #15 of 26

What are some of the variations of "gramma" are out there?

Mine call me "Banna" because my granddaughter couldn't say "gramma" when she first started talking and it just came out banna. When she got older and could say "gramma", I told her "Nope! GRAMMA is in New Jersey! *I'M* Banna! I got business cards already printed, kid, we're not changing it now!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

7yyrt Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:21am
post #16 of 26

I'm Maam-Maam, the other one is Nanna.

kakabekabunny Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #17 of 26

Luv, luv, luv being in the "Gramma' club (nana actually). Really luv it when my g-dtr has a temper tantrum when she's told it's time to go home, (lol)after spending the weekend. We're building and furnishing a dollhouse together and she has er own cake decorating equipment to help Nana make cakes. (wish her Tinkerbelle apron came in my size, lol)
Anyway, welcome to the Gramma club. You're right, there's nothing like it!!

Luffie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:12pm
post #18 of 26

I'm Nannie - it took me months to decide what I wanted to be called, there were many conversations about my name, and after all is said and done I hope my g-baby ends up coming up with a name on her own when she starts talking - if not I will be Nannie icon_smile.gif.

The reason around Nannie vs gramma is my daughter's mother-in-law is already a gramma and we didn't want the baby to have confusion re two gramma's such as we have in our previous generation.

My youngest son is 10yrs old and he has two gramma's, my mom and my husband's mother. When my son explains which gramma he is talking about he says, "I have a gramma, and I have a gramma-with-grampa-gramma"...My mom is widowed and my in-laws are 50yrs into their marriage, so he has a single gramma and a married gramma, that has herself a grampa icon_smile.gif lolz

I had my little luvey yesterday...At 4.5months she is so chubby, she's totally breastfed it's amazing how flubbery she has grown - just getting introduced to pablum I can only imagine how big her thighs are going to geticon_smile.gif ...She's not yet sitting, but can't manage her bumbo seat because her legs don't fit, she's too chubby! My daughter told me when I change her bum to powder her rolls, she's gotten so chubby that her lil rolls need to be dried off or else she ends up with a rash.

So sweet, I'm looking forward to baking with her and playing Barbies. She laid across my arms cooing and then drifted off to sleep with her lil chubby fist on my heart...I think she might end up getting Nannie wrapped around her lil chubby finger!

indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffie

I'm Nannie - it took me months to decide what I wanted to be called,

that's funny because when I have women talk to me about "I cant' decide what I want them to call me", I tell them "you dont' get to decide! They'll call you whatever comes out of their mouth." icon_lol.gif

I mean, geesh, who sits around and decides "I think I'll have my grandkids call me BANNA!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tiggy2 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:43am
post #20 of 26

My oldest grandaughter (1icon_cool.gif cals me G-ma as does her boyfriend. We also have a 16 year old grandaughter and one on the way (another girl). I love being a grandma.

snowshoe1 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #21 of 26

I LOVE being a grandmother! And I never had to have kids to do it icon_biggrin.gif never wanted them. I was lucky enough to marry a man who has 'given' me 9 grandchildren and I love them all as if they were my own. Also, was great telling people when I was 33 that I 'have grandkids.'

friendly Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:33am
post #22 of 26

I a Grandma of 12 grandchildren ages from 21 years to 2 1/2 (number 13 due in Feb 2011) also have a 1 year old greatgrand son. In my spare time I am writing stories to the younger granddaughter and grandson. All of my grandchildren live a long distance from me so I don't see them very much and really miss not seeing them grow up

MnSnow Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:26pm
post #23 of 26

Personally I think we should be Gramma's before bing parents! LOL
I have number 18 grandchild on the way. They range from 13 to 4 mos.

I absolutley adore being a Gramma!! Wouldn't trade it for anything...EVER!!!

One of my gradn daughters had her own language, even though she could say the words, she used her own language. She called me Minah...*Shrugging* So I named my business Minah LOL

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #24 of 26

Being a grandmother ( or in my case, "Gigi") is the absolute best thing ever! My mom always told me that I wouldn't be able to understand the feeling until I had my own, and now I know what she means. She always said that, in a way that only a grandmother would know, you do love them more than your own. I think it's because you love your own child so much, and then this child of your child comes along, and all you have to do is love it. You don't have to worry about the day-to-day things and whether they're eating their vegetables. All you have to do is love him/her, play with them, and give them back to Mommy and Daddy at the end of the day! My grandsons are almost 3 and 4 months old, and I already have the 3-year-old asking when he comes over, "Gigi, can we bake cupcakes today?"

aundrea Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:34am
post #25 of 26

im joining the gramam club!!
i have one grandaughter (aundrea)- she's 3 (will be 4 in feb) she calls me ma-ma's which is short for gram-ma-ma, from the tv show bewitched.
when she wants something special from me she always wiggles her nose and says gram-ma-ma.
she also has my middle name (a tradition in my family) and im her god mother. we have a very special relationship. and she stays with me.
im also a young gramma (although feeling very old)and when we are are out together everyone thinks im her mom.
i have two beautiful daughters- but i have to admit i do love being a gramma and have to catch myself sometimes to not say it infront of them that im having more fun now.
i know alot of has to do with that i dont have nearly the resonsiblity that i had being a single mom.
but im sooooo greedy, because i want more!!!

Gingoodies Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #26 of 26

Snowshoe1, I have the same experience. My husband was a grandfather of 5 when we married. ( I was only 35) I now have 3 great-grands age 10, 6, and 3 months. I could not love them more than if they were mine by birth. I am Grandma Gin to the little ones.

Grandmas Rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%