What Is A Good Border Style For A Halloween Birthday Cake?

Decorating By ylil Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 4:18am by ylil

ylil Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 6

I'm at a loss. It's a last minute for a friend...the icing is dark purple, and she wants orange trim. There are a lot of fondant figures to go on it, but I was trying to think of a "simple" halloween-type border to pipe. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

5 replies
jlh Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 6

Here is one. I used a star tip - #21 You can also sprinkle orange and black non-parellis just on the border. They sold jars of them last year at Target, toward the front of the store. Good luck.

jlh Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 6

Here is a pic with the non-parellis. The orange didn't show up too well, but the orange and black looks much better on a purple border.

cakesrock Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 6

Is there black in the cake? You could do a simple shell border in orange with black dots between the shells. That would look really cool and tie it together nicely. Or you could do big orange dots. For really plain, do the black dots alone. Or you could simplify but also appease your friend by doing black shell border with small orange dots...HTH!

Ursula40 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

Surround with mini pumpkins made of fondant, they are orange, easy and quick to make. Roll balls, score with knife, small green leaves, just pinched ovals, flatten the pumpkin a bit on the top when putting the leaves on

ylil Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 6

The cake was due this morning. I had already made the fondant decorations, but the mother of the birthday girl was going to make the cake and then couldn't, so it was requested at like 5 yesterday afternoon and I delivered it this morning. I used jlh's suggestion (although it didn't look nearly as good as hers did!) on the bottom border - I already had the top on and didn't think I could scrape it off without further damaging the cake. The color is a bit off in this pic, the icing was a dark purple. Thanks so much for your suggestions and help, I *really* appreciate it!

Well, I couldn't figure out how to add the pic here, but it's in my photos. Thanks again for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%