Cake Color And Cookies

Decorating By MissFluff Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 9:33pm by gingerbreadtogo

MissFluff Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 3

I am still in the deciding process of what to do for my first fondant cake (well, the only thing stopping me is I haven't been to town yet to buy the rest of the supplies I need. icon_wink.gif).

I am doing a shetland sheepdog cake (for those who don't know what that is it's a dog that looks a lot like Lassie, only smaller and cuter!). I'm thinking of doing a one layer round cake, but then after that I can't decide what to do. All of the dog cakes I have seen have been white fondant, but there's quite a bit of white on my dogs. The colors of the dogs are black, white, and brown. What color would make these colors stand out really good?

I was then thinking about what I wanted to do for the actual shelties on the cake. I thought about cutting fondant shelties with cookie cutters, but then I wondering if sheltie cookies on a stick might be cuter. Would two cookies on a stick be too much for a one layer round cake?

Any suggestions?

2 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 3

You could make a 3 d dog out of RTK and place it on top of your cake. This is what I did with my dog cake in my photos. The last 3 d dog cake I made I didn't actually get a picture because I was in a hurry to deliver. I used the info from how to make a 3 d dog video on youtube. I did use different pans to create the body. I used three nine inch round pans and one cake baked in my wondermold pan for the top to make the chest and neck of the dog. I took a long dowel and attached it to my cake board so it was standing up by using a washer on the top and bottom of the board to stableize and a small screw. I stacked all of the cakes and carved to the desired shape. Then I removed the layers and filled with my vanilla mousse and restacked and frosted the entire body. I used RTK to make the head, ears, legs, and the tail. I took two skewers and put one in each of the legs for support as the dog was sitting up. Covered in fondant and added all the details. I didn't have the tool she used in the video to create the fur so I used the back of a butter knife and it worked great. Have fun making your cake.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 3

I think 2 sheltie cookies on a stick would be very cute. I recently did horse cookies on a cake for a little girl. It was perfect because she was able to rearranged them..then took them off and had fun eating them. Although you did not say it was for a child..It's cute anyway..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%