How To Airbrush A Non Straight Line.

Decorating By karateka Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 9:42am by Evoir

karateka Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #1 of 8

I tried to make a cake where half of it is navy and half is whte. The halves are not symmetrical, and the line is curved.

I tried to do it by piecing together fondant, but the color was wrong and when I tried to hand paint it to the right color I got brushmarks.

I'd like to airbrush it...but am not sure how to go about it. It seems that taping off some parchment would work for straight lines, but for curved? The tape doesn't seem to curve too easily...

Has anyone done this and have any advice?

7 replies
himmlisch Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

I know they have masking tape that is designed to curve in the hardware store. I couldn't master it on the wall, so I'm not sure how it would work on cake.

jules5000 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 8

What about making a stencil and doing it that way. YOu can make stencils fairly easy these days. Make yourself two stencils. 1 for each side of the cake and put a handle on each one. You might have to have someone help you , but you could put some paper underneath the stencil that wasn't getting painted at the time and have someone hold that stencil firmly in place. Then after the side dries somewhat that you did first, repeat on the other side. just an idea.or just make two solid stencils for each side with a handle and hold the side not getting painted with one hand and the airbrush with the other hand. Just an idea.

leily Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 8

I would cut your non-straight line on one side of the parchment paper and use that as a "stencil" by placing it on the cake and then airbrushing it.

TabbieCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 8

Hmmm. How about cutting your wavy line pattern onto a piece of aluminum foil. Lay the foil on top of the side you don't want to get spray on, matching up the wavy line pattern - the foil is moldable so you can adjust it to match the wavy line.

Then, just to make sure you get the crisp line you want, make a thin "snake" out of gumpaste or fondant. Lay the snake along the wavy line, on top of the foil. It would mostly lay on the foil, but make sure the snake is well coated with corn starch or PS in case it does touch your cake in places.

The snake would act as a dam and as a way to hold down the foil. After you spray, throw the snake away.

Just a thought. Good luck!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

One of my cake instructors rips Viva brand paper towels in a wavy pattern and tapes it around the cake. Then she airbrushes.

Works beautifully on sheet cakes. I didn't try it on a round.

karateka Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by leily

I would cut your non-straight line on one side of the parchment paper and use that as a "stencil" by placing it on the cake and then airbrushing it.

I did think of that, but then someone has to hold it down for me, or the paper will waft up and the navy will get under it.

I do like the "snake" idea....will maybe give that a try. I thought of taping it to the fondant, but the tape doesn't seem to want to curve very well.

Evoir Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:42am
post #8 of 8

Its all about masking...use a firm cardstock and cut your wavy line leaving the card over the entire side of the unsprayed side. You should be able to just hold it firmly while you spray, and not have any spray go under the card. Also ensure your sides etc are masked off as well. When airbrushing, 99% of the time is spent preparing - masking, making stencils, preparation. The fun bit is over in a few seconds!

Whatever you do, practice on paper first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%