Cake Stacking/dowels Question

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 12:50am by Crissielyn

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone. I am doing a 3-tiered cake for a Breast Cancer benefit this weekend. The only cake dowels I have are 12 inches in length, but the total height of my cake will be more than 12 inches.

I will of course cut my 12" dowels to support the tiers, but I dont have a dowel long enough to drive through the middle of the cake. My question is, do I need to have one going through the middle of the cake or would that only be necessary if I am transporting it stacked?

Or, better yet, can I use two cake dowels through the middle? For instance, using a 12" and another one I cut on top of each other to be the entire height of the cake. Not sure I explained that right...

Thanks!

3 replies
aracely30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aracely30 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 4

Hello! I suggest you stack your cakes using first the longest dowel and then maybe using a part of the other dowel,how long does the entire cake will be? because I some times leave 2 or 3 inches of the top tier without the dowel,what I do is before puting the cakes on each board I cut a hole in the middle of the card board,the I put the cake and then I stack each cake passing the dowel underneath and trough the cakes, What I mean is that I don't put the dowel after stacking,instead I pass the dowel trough the hole of the cake,I cut the dowel a little shorter than the cakes so it doesn't come out the top tier,I hope I explained myself right, sorry for my english! icon_smile.gif hope this helps!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 4

The dowel doesn't have to be the entire height of the cake...just use a second dowel to help you hammer the first one as far down as it will go...it will still go through all the support boards....it doesn't have to reach the very top of the top tier to support the cake.

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for the response! So nice of you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%