Fondant Question On Storage

Decorating By Renesaindon Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 3:47am by Renesaindon

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 23

three weeks ago I had a friend of mine request I do her daughters wedding cake. She knows I have never done one and am new to decorating but has seen some things I have done. I spent all last weekend practicing techniques and learning what to do. I made a mini version of one of the layers she requested. I spent one afternoon meeting with them on what they wanted after I spent several hours looking through idea online to help them decide what to do. I have all the materials bought and today she decides to tell me that they are going to wal-mart because I have to go out of town the weekend of the wedding and they want a "fresh" cake. When they ordered the cake they knew I had to leave town that weekend and I would have to get the cake to them a few days earlier because of that. Now, after I have spent all of this time and money getting ready for her cake, she messages me to cancel the cake because according to her research the fondant will dry and crack during the time she has it before the wedding and the sugar will "melt" after the condensation forms after getting it out of the refrigerator. Not sure what she means by sugar melting as as we don't have any sugar decorations and the sugar we are using would have been in the fondant/icing and would have already been dissolved.

My question is this: How do you store a cake with fondant on it from the time you get it done to the time you deliver. I seriously doubt that any of you go from the last drip of icing going on the cake immediately tot he wedding. There is going to be a day or so between finishing and delivery on a cake. Am I right or is she right?

22 replies
Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 23

Also, when you do a tier cake or more do you try to transport it all in one piece or do you take it in layers and then put it together when you get there?

KJ62798 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 23

Fondant cakes CAN go in the fridge. Ideally, they have a box to help absorb some of the moisture. The key is that when the cake comes out of the fridge, no one touches it as the cake comes back to room temp--it will be damp for a while but that will evaporate.

My typical timeline for a Saturday cake is to bake on Thurs, fill & crumb coat & let it settle. Friday is for decorating. Cake is ready for Saturday. I keep cakes in the fridge (there is an ongoing debate on the need to do this--I feel better if I do)

Cupcakes are baked no more that 24hrs in advance & those don't go in the fridge since they don't have a coating of frosting to seal in moisture. The swirl on top doesn't cover all the cake & cuppies dry out fast.

HTH
Kristy

KJ62798 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 23

RE: Transport--it depends on the size of the cake, the support method you use and how much you can safely lift.

A small 2-tier cake can be transported stacked. So can a 3-tier if you have REALLY good internal support like SPS.

If you have large cakes or a lot of tiers, it is safer to stack on-site. You have to be able to move the cake so never stack more than you can carry easily.

HTH
Kristy

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 23

The issue is that I have to have the cake done by Wednesday night and to them Thursday as I have to be out of town that weekend. They knew this when they ordered it. I had planned to bake the cake and do the filling and crumb coat this weekend and then frigerate it until Wednesday. Wednesday I was going to bring it back to room temp then do the fondant and do the decorating. Then, I could have them pick it up Thursday before I leave town.

This was all prearranged and now they are pulling the plug. Funny thing is I have found out that Wal-Mart and Dillons both require 2 weeks notice and both are frozen cakes with bucket icing. Wal-mart doesn't do fondant and Dillons does packaged fondant called decko. So, won't even taste good. Both will cost less than mine, but with 1/2 the size pieces so not actually less. I had mine priced 1/2 price of what a cake decorator would do it for (not a grocery store) as a favor to them. This is what I get for trying to up heave my schedule, squeeze them in, frustrate and stress myself out, all for them. Now I have all of hte materials for the cake and no order! Plus, I bought a bunch of decorating equipment with the money I was going to get.

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 23

I was going to try to learn how to stack this weekend. What is SPS? I wanted it so that they could just set one on top of the other and it wouldn't be hard for them.

KJ62798 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 23

SPS is a simple internal stacking system. You can get it at Global Sugar Arts online. Leah_S is the guru about it here--there is a "sticky" in the decorating forum with all the details.

Essentially it is a "single plate separator" system. Each plate has legs that lock in and then get pressed down into the lowercake. The top of the plate has a little spike that goes into the cardboard under the cake to keep it from sliding. It takes the place of dowels or other supports inside a tiered cake.

Kristy

KJ62798 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesaindon

The issue is that I have to have the cake done by Wednesday night and to them Thursday as I have to be out of town that weekend. They knew this when they ordered it. I had planned to bake the cake and do the filling and crumb coat this weekend and then frigerate it until Wednesday. Wednesday I was going to bring it back to room temp then do the fondant and do the decorating. Then, I could have them pick it up Thursday before I leave town.

I know it is a moot point, but I think for this sort of situation, I would have baked/frozen the cakes ahead of time and then brought them back to room temp on Wed for decorating. If you baked on the weekend and they serve the following weekend, even if it was fridged it is still a week-old cake. Freezing would have preserved the cakes better than fridge time.

Kristy

jenscreativity Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 23

freeze cakes ahead of time then do them. No worries then

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 23

I meant freeze, not refrigerate. Sorry, I am a bit irritated and not typing/thinking straight.

leily Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:

I have all the materials bought and today she decides to tell me that they are going to wal-mart because I have to go out of town the weekend of the wedding and they want a "fresh" cake.

I'm sorry but i actually laughed out loud when i read this. The only thing "fresh" from wal-mart will be that it was thawed out the day before (as it has been frozen for at least a couple of months) and decorated. Now i'm not getting down on freezing, because i do it myself. But i used to work in a wal-mart bakery and I can't recall one decent "wedding cake" set that we got in that even seems fresh, most were dry as they weren't packaged properly and some even had freezer burn, so who knows how long they were sitting in the warehouse.

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 23

yeah, tell me about it. I sent her back a message telling her I wished her luck in finding someone else now that even Walmart and Dillons require 2 weeks notice and that neither of them back their cakes on site, they are all frozen and brought in from elsewhere, not to mention that their icing is from a bucket, Walmart doesn't do fondant, and Dillons fondant is from a foil package, not fresh like mine would be. I also explained that even getting it from Dillons and/or Walmart she would still not be able to get it all in one piece for what she wanted and they would still have to "put" it together as it would be too heavy to transport in one piece.

She then had the audacity, after ruining my day, to post on her fb page that "she" was so over this day! Guess you get it back when you give it! Just want to know why I deserved to get it to start with as all I did was get up this morning and BAM!

Renesaindon Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #13 of 23

unflipplin believable. Her mom just posted this:

" is always amazed at how inconsiderate some people are. As if they are all that matter and could give a s__t about anyone else."

Have no idea who it is aimed at, but amazing she is feeling that way after her and her daughter just did what they did to me!

Apti Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 23

What's done is done--chalk it up to experience. Use the materials you have purchased to make a practice wedding cake. Then, find a place where you can donate a large cake with many servings AND will be able to cut and serve the cake! For example, your church between Sunday School and service, or if you have children, donate to the staff lounge at the school. This will get you the practice you need in baking, icing, stacking, transporting, setting up at venue, cutting and serving the cake (bring paper plates, plastic forks, and a cutting knife, and something to clean the knife between slices). You'll be able to identify what mistakes were made and how to fix them the next time, and expose your cake to future potential customers.

Keep a written log of the time it takes for each step, the cost of the ingredients, etc. Take photos of your cakes in all stages of preparation and a lot of photos of the finished product for your portfolio. The experience you will gain will be worth far more than what you would have been paid and it will also be done stress-free since it will be a donation.

terrylee Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 23

Do you think she was talking about herself being inconsiderate.......lol.....not.....but anyway...it sounds like you are better off not having to deal with her in the first place....if anything should go wrong "after" you would have dropped off the cake..... yikes..if she is this up set now.....how would she be then...

Like Apti said...just chalk it up to experience. Some of us do go from icing to reception but it is a planned thing. I wouldn't stress myself out delivering a cake the day before the wedding. you just don't know who will handle it or what would happen to it....You deliver, You set up....You take a picture.

Renesaindon Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #16 of 23

I just talked to my best friend (the one that sent them my way as it is her other best friends daughter, yes I still love her! LOL) and she told me that mom knew nothing about her "decision" as she said she did as she had washed her hands of the entire thing because she was being impossible so I believe she now lied to me! I am actually glad she did as now I don't have to be mad at her mom. I liked her mom! LOL

I am going to make the cake anyway, as I think she will be calling me back to ask me to do it, unless she just decided she could only afford a 1/4 sheet cake at wallyworld. Anyway, if she does call me back, there will be a $25.00 upcharge for rush since my time table was messed up and if she doesn't call me back, I will take it to school with me next week during conferences and give all of my co-workers one hell of a sugar high!! icon_surprised.gif)

terrylee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:12am
post #17 of 23

You do what you feel you need to do.....glad you got things straighten out with your best friends mom.....good luck.

Renesaindon Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #18 of 23

well, still haven't heard from the mom, just don't think she is actively involved in the mess as her daughter indicated. I just hope it all works out and this wedding isn't a mess so she doesn't regret her one big day for the rest of her life! I would rather suck it up, make the cake for her when she calls me back, and her have a good day with a nice cake. :O)

3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #19 of 23
Quote:

I just talked to my best friend (the one that sent them my way as it is her other best friends daughter, yes I still love her! LOL) and she told me that mom knew nothing about her "decision" as she said she did as she had washed her hands of the entire thing because she was being impossible so I believe she now lied to me! I am actually glad she did as now I don't have to be mad at her mom. I liked her mom! LOL

I am going to make the cake anyway, as I think she will be calling me back to ask me to do it, unless she just decided she could only afford a 1/4 sheet cake at wallyworld. Anyway, if she does call me back, there will be a $25.00 upcharge for rush since my time table was messed up and if she doesn't call me back, I will take it to school with me next week during conferences and give all of my co-workers one hell of a sugar high!! icon_surprised.gif)

thumbs_up.gif

Renesaindon Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:59pm
post #20 of 23

Wow! someone on here left a nasty note on my website that I should get off cake central during class time as they were pretty sure my students were more important than my cake hobby! What kind of judgmental jerk would do that? First of all, whoever it was didn't have the nerve to leave their name or any information so that they could be rebutted, second of all, whoever it was has no idea of my schedule or when I am where or when I even have students so mind your own business. I am guessing another baker that is less than thrilled about their own skills. Wow, I thought this was a good group to belong to, not so sure, now!

Very disappointed! icon_mad.gif

Apti Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #21 of 23
Quote:

Wow! someone on here left a nasty note on my website that I should get off cake central during class time as they were pretty sure my students were more important than my cake hobby! What kind of judgmental jerk would do that? First of all, whoever it was didn't have the nerve to leave their name or any information so that they could be rebutted, second of all, whoever it was has no idea of my schedule or when I am where or when I even have students so mind your own business. I am guessing another baker that is less than thrilled about their own skills. Wow, I thought this was a good group to belong to, not so sure, now!

Very disappointed! icon_mad.gif

What are you talking about? I tried to go to your website before I even read the post above to see if you had any additional cake photos posted since you only have two pictures on CC and it said "URL not found". You never said anything about classes in this post and those who have responded here on CC are not aware you have students or classes. What made you think it was "someone on here"? I personally responded to your post with a reasonable answer to your dilemma and now I'm being told that I'm part of a "not so sure this is a good group"?

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:44am
post #22 of 23

My comments were not aimed at you, they were aimed at the coward that posted a comment in my guest book on my website about how I shouldn't be participating on cakecentral while at school as my students deserved better.

I have removed the comment since the person had no idea when I participate or what my schedule is or when I have students and it was none of their business in any other light anyway.

My colleagues and students' parents had not been told about my website yet and this was the only place I had published it to anyone besides my family and they have no clue what cake central is, nor would anyone else I know.

Not sure why my website came up with an error for you, I just checked it and it is fine. I had mentioned being an educator in my profile and I used a picture that was taken in my classroom as my profile picture because I liked it better.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:47am
post #23 of 23

P.S. I should not have lumped everyone together as part of the problem, just felt very angry and judged over something that was no one elses' business and they had no way of knowing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%