Air Brushing On Butter Cream

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 1:19am by Kandykin

Kandykin Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

I've never attempted this, but was wondering if there is a lighter air pressure setting to air brush on butter cream. I want to paint on some detailed scrollwork on a cake - I'm assuming I have to bring the air brush needle close to the butter cream. Is there a chance I will ruin my butter cream by blowing it out due to the air pressure? Tia.

5 replies
calivettie Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

I airbrush buttercream all the time and never blow holes in it. Keep the air pressure about 15-18.
The only problems ive had has been when i am airbrushing "piped" work, then you should be extra careful.

Good luck and make sure to post pictures!

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 6

Yes..turn the PSI down to very low...and yes...if you are piping stringwork etc it will blow it around.

cakebaby59 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 6

Does that mean it's ok to used the can spray as well?

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 6

The can spray will work but you can't get close or a small narrow line as it will get overspray everywhere..You really have to use an airbrush to get the narrow lines...

Kandykin Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6

Thank you ladies! This cake is for the end of November. I've used my airbrush only once so far. The last time I used it, the cake came out beautiful(fondant) but I was washing magenta pink off of my kitchen counters and floor for a week after that! Not to mention my pink nostrils when I went to pick my kids up at the bus stop! icon_redface.gif
Loved using it, but dreading the overspray. Thank you for your replies thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%