4 Inch Tall , Just Cant Get Them!

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 17 Mar 2012 , 1:53am by Bridgette1129

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 16

Ive wanted to try the SPS system but can not get perfect 4 inch cakes ! My cake mix never seems to get 2 inches so I always add just enough icing to make it shhhh .... when I get them layered they will eather be 3 1/2 or over 4 in grrr.... how do I get my cakes 4 in tall ? Do they have to be perfect height to use the sps ? Any help is very appreciated icon_smile.gif

15 replies
ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 16

I was wondering the same thing! I ordered a set for a wedding in 2 weeks and I am really worried as I have never used them before!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 16

I make extra batter if I need to, and then fill the pans a little extra full. The left-over batter I use to make small 4" to have on hand for birthdays, etc., or for cake balls.

I make sure that my cakes rise up slightly higher than the pan, then "smash" them with a cookie sheet as soon as they come out of the oven and then cut them off to the level of the top of the pan.

I still, occasionally, have to use icing to get 4", but not so much that it becomes a problem.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 16

If you only have two inch pans you can use a parchment collar around the pans so you can add more batter. I have done this before and it works fine. Also eliminates the possibility of your batter overflowing while baking (I have had that happen before icon_redface.gif ).

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 16

It sounds like you really need to add more batter to your pans. Have you tried using the extender with your recipes? That will increase the amount of cake batter.

I always fill my pans 3/4 of the way so that the cake rises above the top for sure. Then I level with a serrated knife as soon as the cake comes out of the oven. My layers are always exactly 2" tall. When I add a filling they are just over 4" tall and work with the SPS perfectly.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 16

The 4" SPS legs can be cut to size. If your cake is 3 1/2" or whatever, just trim the legs. As Duff once said, "don't let the cake push you around!" icon_biggrin.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 16

Sweetness - I was the same way. Could never get my 8 inch cakes to be 4 inches using 1 box so for my last two cakes I used the cake extender receipe below and they came out perfect. Its annoying because one of the reasons I enjoy mixes is that I only have measure oil and water, but it works so i will probably being using the extender from now on.

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

Add 1/4 to 1/3 cocoa for chocolate cakes

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 16

I use the extender recipe that's here on CC:

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Add to box mix (and ingredients to make box mix). Beat for 3 minutes on high.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 16

SPS legs can be trimmed. Ideally the cake is 4" tall, so you can skip the trimming.

sdgilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdgilliland Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #10 of 16

Can you still use the 4" SPS if the cakes are 4 1/2" tall, or should I just get the next size up and trim?

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #11 of 16

Wow Thanks everyone , dont know why I dont get notified of replies .....

I think I need to use more mix bcuz Ive been filling my pans only half full . When I go more my cakes took forever to get done , I have to lower temp and add time to get it done . I didnt know I could trim the sps legs icon_smile.gif

Oh Im so lazy.... I didnt wanna have to use the extenders lol but looks like Im going to have to try it . It takes me all day to do one cake now I have to measure more ingreds lol !

I didnt know I could smash my cakes down hummm ... I always have a dome in the middle thats higher than my 2 in pans but around the edges dont even rise to the top of my pan ....wierd I know !

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #12 of 16

I always bake at 325 and fill my pans btwn 1/2 and 3/4 full. Yes they take longer to bake but I do not have a dome in the middle. You can also use baking strips around the cake pans to prevent the hump in the middle.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:08am
post #13 of 16

I love the baking strips. My cakes come out almost completely leveled, which is a good thing because I still don't have an agbay! But there is very little to cut off, much to the dismay of my family! I use the flower nails in the middle as well...don't know if that helps with the leveling or just making sure the cake is baked right through. Whatever, the combination of the strips and the flower nails is what works for me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:27am
post #14 of 16

See this similar post with add'l suggestions on cakes rising high enough:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6979296.html#6979296

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:21am
post #15 of 16

Why not just plan on three shorter layers to make the full 4" if that's what it's easy for you to get?

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 1:53am
post #16 of 16

What about too tall cakes? Mine are usually 4.5" when I fill and frost icon_sad.gif

Don't want too little cake so don't want to trim them down but I had started using less filling and they are still too tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%