Tip #233

Decorating By juliefc Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm by DianeLM

juliefc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliefc Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 7

I want to decorate the whole top of my cake as grass with tip 233. Should I first do a layer of frosting and then make the grass or just put the grass right on the cake.

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

I would put green as a base, whether you frost with green icing or frost with white and airbrush green. That way if you have a couple spots where the "grass" is thinner it won't be noticeable!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 7

You can do either...If you ice the top first you don't see the cracks underneath..You can pipe the grass right on but it has to be close together so you don't see cake especially if it is white cake.

canadiancookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canadiancookie Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 7

I guess you could do it either way! I just used this tip for the first time last weekend on my Elmo cake. I didn't frost the cupcaks first.....I think it turned out really well. Lots of work though for a large area!

KimberlysKakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberlysKakery Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

If you look at my "Over the Hill" cake, I used that tip. I did put a layer of green icing under just in case any showed through. Since I was covering with the grass, I didn't make it that smooth so it was simple. icon_smile.gif

jmansk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmansk Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

I also think that you could do either way...but a layer of green on the cake first will help...you won't have to worry about missing a spot.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

I agree that a thin layer of green first will save a lot of potential headache.

I also recommend getting yourself a few extra 233 tips. The holes do tend to clog up with use. It's a lot easier to just change to a clean tip than have to wash one over and over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%