Purchased A Table At A Fair...now What?

Decorating By ChrisPA Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 6:31am by bmoser24

ChrisPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisPA Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 7

A friend asked if I would buy a table at fair that a local church is doing. $20.00 for the table (they provide) plus something to auction off.

I am to bring my portfolio (my pics are in a photo album), a tablecover and possibly some things to sell. What type of baked goods should I make to sell? Cookies? Cupcakes?

I was thinking about making a small 8" dummy cake and using that on my table.

Whomever has done this before, could I please get some advice? It is in exactly 2 weeks.

Thanks

6 replies
neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 7

I just did this last week! I also live in PA. For me, to be honest, I just broke even. I sold mini-cakes for $1, they are $1.25 in the bakeries. I sold 1/2 doz. for $5 and a dozen for $10. I sold approx. 120 of them out of approx. 150 of them. If your one cake sells, then you'll have nothing left to sell the rest of the day. Neecerator.

ChrisPA Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

I was thinking that cookies and cupcakes would be the easiest. Dummy cake would just be for show. The church gets to keep the money off of the cake I donate and they auction off.

how did you prsent your baked goods to sell? Boxes? bags? I know I will prob. put some money out, but don't want to be out too much money.

neecerator Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 7

I placed them on fancy plates with a paper doily underneath them. I took vinyl gloves (non-latex) and placed them in small boxes that I had gotten from Aldi's. Like the ones that the Choceur bars are sold from. I also have saved a ton of clear plastic shells/domed containers just from strawberries or blueberries for example. I used a lot of those. Wash them well and take them. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

I also took a float of cash. ie) 4 x 5's and the rest were all 1's to make change. I also used tin foil trays and took my very large plastic wrap to make a lid.

ChrisPA Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 7

okay, sounds easy and green (by recycling). I have things like that in the house that I saved for some reason and now I have one! Thanks so much for your help.

Where in PA do you live, neecerator?

neecerator Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

I live about a 1/2 hr. drive East of Pittsburgh. Where is Willow Grove? Feel free to PM if you don't want details in the forum. Thanks.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:31am
post #7 of 7

I do this at our local indoor swap meet. I take a cake for display, and will sell at the end of day. I also take snickerddoodles...a fav, chocolate crack (recipe here) a BIG HIT...oh I call it cracker candy for church and public. Cupcakes do OK. Brownies are a hit, always. I always make my booth money , plus a bit extra. Most of all I get advertising...free! I find ANYTHING with peanut butter sells. Always use SMBC on cupcakes, ppl like alot...they rave. These are just a few things I found doing a booth. HTH
Blessings~ Let me know how you do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%