Wedding Cakes With Front Only Design

Decorating By DianeLM Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm by Bubbl3h3ad

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 23

I have a bride who is totally in love with this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=102133

However, the price is out of her budget. So, I suggested, rather than having the design cover each tier entirely, that we do it just on the front of the cake - starting wide on the bottom tier and gradually narrowing as we reach the top tier. (Her cake will be more than 2 tiers).

She said she isn't sure how she feels about the design on the front only. So, I've been looking for wedding cakes that have a design on the front only, that starts wide and narrows at the top. I found a few after browsing through hundreds of cake photos. (Why do I go to such lengths for people who DON'T want to spend the money?)

If you've done a cake or know of a cake with that type of design, could you please share it here?

Thanks!

22 replies
leily Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 23

i know what type of cake you're talking about but don't have any pictures. But i was thinking of another idea.

What if you did it sporatically around each tier, so it didn't cover the whole tier, but maybe it's spaced in thirds around each tier and then each tier is rotated a little so it doesn't all line up.

CWR41 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 23

Would it be within her budget, and less time for you, if you piped the design without using the fondant cutout shapes? (it would save steps for you, and since those areas are filled in with piping gel, it isn't very obvious that it's another layer of fondant.) Nice cake!

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks for the ideas! I did come across some cakes where the design was kind of spiraled down. That might be a good solution.

CWR41 - Ya, I'll probably piipe the design on. I made that cake 6 years ago. The earth has cooled quite a bit since then. icon_smile.gif Did you see how HUGE the rope border is? It must be covering some awful stuff. LOL

jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 23

so you charge by design? This would not be any extra for me. Its not like you are doing brush embroidery. All the research you're doing trying to find a design is taking you more time than just doing the design in its entirety.

CWR41 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Did you see how HUGE the rope border is? It must be covering some awful stuff. LOL

Didn't notice... looked again, looks proportionate to me--very nice and I doubt that it's hiding anything. It's great!

Relznik Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

so you charge by design?

Of course... surely everyone does? A complex or time-consuming cake design will cost more than one which is more simple or straight-forward.

I did this cake for a bride, which was right at the top of her budget. She had initially wanted the piped design all the way round, but I told her that it would be additional and in all honesty, I didn't think it was necessary. I'm really pleased with how it came out (although never heard back from bride or groom, so no idea if they loved it or hated it!)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1806495

GL79 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 23

How about if you do it on every other tier?

jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

Of course... surely everyone does? A complex or time-consuming cake design will cost more than one which is more simple or straight-forward.

Only if its way overboard. And no, not everyone charges by design. I charge by the slice no matter design, with more cost for only extreme detailing (and this wouldn't count). I can whip them out pretty quickly though, and for me, the less design the more time I put into smooth finish, so it completely evens out.

My argument stands- research time counts as time as well, and it would take less time to complete some designs than it would to look through hundreds of cakes.

However, if looking for a front design, try this:
http://web.me.com/cakescapes/Site_3/Artistry/Pages/Marry_Me%21.html#4

or this:
http://web.me.com/cakescapes/Site_3/Artistry/Pages/Marry_Me%21.html#85

Either center the design and have it branch out, or scatter clumps of it on each tier.
HTH

KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 23

I have to agree with jentreau, I charge per slice.....I do however have a higher per slice charge when fondant accents are involved......but handpainting and even adding dragees, or impressions, etc. are all included in my normal price.

I would much rather get an order for a cake like this with exttensive piped designs over the fondant than one like I should be working on right now which is 3 tiered plain white fondant with a ribbon around the bottom of each tier. That's it!! No decorations, no borders, nothing to hide, NOTHING. I really should charge MORE for plain cakes lol

jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 23

I would much rather get an order for a cake like this with exttensive piped designs over the fondant than one like I should be working on right now which is 3 tiered plain white fondant with a ribbon around the bottom of each tier. That's it!! No decorations, no borders, nothing to hide, NOTHING. I really should charge MORE for plain cakes lol[/quote]

Quote:
Quote:

Here here! And then they want no borders, seamless designs too! I can do them, but it doesn't mean I don't wish for a swirl here and there!

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

so you charge by design? This would not be any extra for me. Its not like you are doing brush embroidery. All the research you're doing trying to find a design is taking you more time than just doing the design in its entirety.

Yes, I charge by design. And this particular design isn't that much more than my lowest price. But it's out of this bride's budget.

I certainly understand that research takes time. And decorating takes time. However, I was doing my research in my pajamas with a glass of wine, my feet up on the desk and playing MahJongg in another window. I'm willing to do it for free. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 23

I think you could make it to where the piping was in a "cascade" shape...starting, say, at the top right and gently curving down to the bottom left of the cake....

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 23

Oh, and I do charge by the slice, too.

I think where we part ways is that you don't charge extra because you can 'whip them out'. Well, I can, too. And I expect to be compensated for my knowledge, experience and tools.

Picasso could 'whip them out', too. But his work didn't command a higher price when he was young, inexperienced and spent 3X as much time on a project. (Not that I'm comparing the quality of my work to Picasso. Just going for the analogy. icon_smile.gif )

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think you could make it to where the piping was in a "cascade" shape...starting, say, at the top right and gently curving down to the bottom left of the cake....

Yes, I think that's similar to what leily suggest earlier. I would also place random leaves and squiggles in the empty areas.

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 23

I'm another that didn't charge by design (with about 5 exceptions in 30 years).

but if you do charge by design, here's a couple of ideas for front-only designs:

My son's wedding cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1837561

Cascade of roses: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1496730

Most cherry blossom cakes are a front-only design: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1460806

I really liked doing this Wilton design: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417802

Perhaps instead of calling it a "Front" design, you might market it as a design that swirls in from the side....

jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 23

"Yes, I charge by design. And this particular design isn't that much more than my lowest price. But it's out of this bride's budget.

I certainly understand that research takes time. And decorating takes time. However, I was doing my research in my pajamas with a glass of wine, my feet up on the desk and playing MahJongg in another window. I'm willing to do it for free. icon_smile.gif"

**shrugs** eh, potato patato. Sounds like a fun research night. I do see a lot of people whose cakes fall into different "categories." So I can see that.
Good luck!
(oh, and I'm not Picasso either! Just saying that to me its sometimes easier to have design than porcelain finish.)[/quote]

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

Just saying that to me its sometimes easier to have design than porcelain finish.)

Amen, sista!!

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 23

Thank you for the ideas, Debi.

Ya know, staring at that cake and having this discussion makes me realize that I may not be viewing this cake in an unbiased light.

When I made this cake 6 years ago, I remember how long I labored to get the details just right - such as, which glitter would actually show up, how to make the leaves so they didn't look like mutant flora from outer space...

Now that I look and study it, it really isn't all that much more work than scrolls and dots, which I don't charge extra for.

I may have some good news for the bride.

Thank you, jentreu, for making me think harder about what I'm charging for. You'll be getting my bill for my lost wages. icon_wink.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:02pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:

Now that I look and study it, it really isn't all that much more work than scrolls and dots, which I don't charge extra for.

Thank you, jentreu, for making me think harder about what I'm charging for. You'll be getting my bill for my lost wages. icon_wink.gif

You'll have to do the lower the head and speak in hushed tones and make her feel special saying something like.. Don't tell anyone, I don't normally do this, but you two just look so in love.. I am going to do it w/ in your budget!

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Quote:

You'll have to do the lower the head and speak in hushed tones and make her feel special saying something like.. Don't tell anyone, I don't normally do this, but you two just look so in love.. I am going to do it w/ in your budget!

Haha... I've communicated just with the MOB only through email. I'll tell her they look like their "virtually" in love! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Quote:

totally agree! ALWAYS make them think you are doing them and them only this very special favor.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 23

Jentreu, is that YOUR website that you posted?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%