Anyone Had Problems With The "funky Alphabet" Sten

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm by HannahLass

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 6

I just received my stencils yesterday and have tried without success to stencil out some of the letters. The directions say to roll the fondant out paper thin (which I have) and keep the work surface dusted with powered sugar (did it) and the letter should just peel off. Most everything has totally stuck to the mold or stretched so far out of shape I can't use it. HELP ME please!!!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 6

The funky letter tappits are finiky to use..You have to practice a bit..I let the fondant/gumpaste sit for a few minutes to kinds harden up..Then I press.I also use a small brush to poke out the areas from behind and that seem to help.I find the dryer the gumpaste/fondant the easier they are to come out but that is my experience.They are a bit time consuming but once you figure out what works for you it goes faster.

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 6

Edna has a tutorial on them on Youtube.

In my experience, fondant doesn't work well with them, gumpaste is much better. Or I use a 50/50 mix or fondant with some gumtex added.

Since I started using tappits the way Edna suggests, I have had much less difficulty with them. HTH

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 6

like kiddiekakes said, let the gumpaste/fondant dry for a little bit after you roll it. i also lightly spray the tappits with vegetable spray before cutting out the letters. then let the letters dry before attempting to use on a cake or they'll get all distorted. good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 6

I HATE the funky tappits!!!! I have the scroll and the manuscript tappits and I can handle those okay but the funky ones are impossible for me!!!! They either tear, or stretch, or whatever....they never come out all in one piece.

Oh well.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 6

I have them and love em. I tend to add a little bit of cmc powder to the fondant just to give it a bit of stiffness(?) then I push down rub them around a bit, I dont actuall tap them to get them out i use a scalpel craft knife thing to just gently grab the back of the letter and ease it out of the mould. I dont push it all the way through or anything just gently tease it out of there works for me. xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%