How To Get Straight (Fondant) Ribbon On Bottom Of Each Tier

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 12:17am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 12

Seems so simple but its for a wedding cake and I need to get this right!
I've got a 3 tier cake, each tier will have a bow and "ribbon" but made with fondant....
I will need to find a way to cut these to the right length and cut them straight..... is there a tool, what's the best method?
They probably need to be half an inch thick. I'm just worried that they will stretch out of proportion from the small amount of handling I need to do with sticking to the cakes.

11 replies
icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 12

Roll out fondant.Then cut with a roller cutter or ribbon cutter(fmm) measure the length and width you need. Then take a peice of fun foam , roll up your fondant ribbon , place on the fun foam, wet where you will stick the ribbon and go around the cake holding the fun foam. no stretching the fondant. i hope i have made sense. I do this way all the time. Seen it on a nicholas lodge dvd. If you don,t have the fmm cutter, michaels has the wilton cutter(some people hate it) but if that is all you can get to right now, it will be good for you. I have it , i have the fmm one also. fmm is the best. but you do what you have to do .good luck with your cake. measure the diameter of your cake. then cut the fondant strip a lilttle longer. overlap at the back of the cake, cut, take out extra peices, ribbon will fit together perfectly. hth

mareg Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 12

Where do you get the fmm roller?

madgeowens Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #4 of 12

whats a fun foam?

Margieluvstobake Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:02am
post #5 of 12

Fun Foam - You buy it at the craft store. It comes in sheets, kind of like a large sheet of construction paper. Different colors. It is a thin flexible foam. It has lots of uses in crafting.

Erika2000 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:18am
post #6 of 12

Icer101 - not clear what you do with the fun foam - could you explain this in another way? Is the fondant strip rolled up in it?

zespri Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:31am
post #7 of 12

I saw on one of those cake TV shows the guy chilled his fondant ribbon to keep it straight, then he put it on the cake chilled, it was neat as a pin.

mareg Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 12

Then what do you do with the fmm? Not sure what It is.

Kaykaymay Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 12

great tip Icer101 thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Then what do you do with the fmm? Not sure what It is.

http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/fmm-multi-ribbon-cutter-p-442.html

Its a tool that you use to cut the fondant strips/ribbons. It makes the whole strip the same width throughout.

shannycakers Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 12

please explain what you do with teh fun foam, if its a sheet how do you roll up your fondant with it? i want to try this! please help

mareg Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 12

I think I get it??? Do you cut it the same way as the fondant then roll it up together?

Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #12 of 12

sorry, I'm lost during this point here:

Then take a peice of fun foam , roll up your fondant ribbon , place on the fun foam, wet where you will stick the ribbon and go around the cake holding the fun foam. no stretching the fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%