Help!!! Urgent!!! Wedding Cake Due Tomorrow!!!

Decorating By jekizer Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 9:23am by amandda

jekizer Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 12

I am having the worst time with this D**N wedding cake. The bottom layer is a 12" round and it is two layers... The top layer of the bottom layer (I hope that makes sense) has cracked. COMPLETELY... right down the middle. I don't have time or ingredients to rebake the layer... How can I fix this!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

This is my last wedding cake... I can't deal with this stress!!! I just need to get out of this mess.

11 replies
cheatize Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 12

It seems to me that if you don't have time to rebake, you'll have to repair it by "gluing" it together with buttercream. The problem is going to be if this is a flaw in the whole batch, the other cakes may crack, too. I've had that happen before.

jekizer Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 12

I have a raging sinus infection and know exactly what I did wrong... I just don't know how to fix it at this point. I didn't level the bottom layers of the cake. The Benedryl took over and for some reason I just filled and iced... NEVER leveled. I really am beginning to think that between the sinus infection and this wonderfully non-understanding bride... I would rather just die now!! LOL

jenscreativity Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:09am
post #4 of 12

glue the crack with gumpaste glue(mixture of gumpaste and very little water to make it pasty(microwave it))..then once done,,make sure dowel rods are up high enough for top layer to NOT touch the bottom layer.

Hope you can wing this despite your sinus infection

mom2twogrlz Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:11am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

glue the crack with gumpaste glue(mixture of gumpaste and very little water to make it pasty(microwave it))..then once done,,make sure dowel rods are up high enough for top layer to NOT touch the bottom layer.

Hope you can wing this despite your sinus infection

That is great advise. Good luck!

madgeowens Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:26am
post #6 of 12

I think a wedding is extremely important and you don't want that crack to make your cake iffy when it is assembled....it needs to be right...were it me I would be on myh way to walmart and get what I need to redo that layer...I know you dont want to hear this, but its a very important day in that brides life, right icon_smile.gif

jekizer Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:34am
post #7 of 12

Thank you!!!! I am going to try this and pray that it truly works... I am also not going to stack it until I get there so I won't have to worry about pressure and vibration. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 12

If the layers were never leveled, its just gonna get worse. The layers HAVE to be level. At the very least you have to take it apart and level it.

jekizer Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #9 of 12

Thank you Leah... I had wondered if I could do that... Take it apart I mean. I have put it in the refrigerator for the night so that it will be easier to handle tomorrow... I am going to try this. I never realized that your brain goes on vacation when you are on Benedryl...

bcake1960 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:04am
post #10 of 12

Im sorry you are having a time of it with this one icon_sad.gif I agree with madgeowens.. you are making a memory. Is there any way you can bake a new layer.. ?? You will be very tired but very happy with the end result. I hope it all ends well for you. Don't give up thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:49am
post #11 of 12

When I had this happen I put the cracked cake on the bottom. This way it will stay flat and not flex. Like someone else mentioned your cake dowels need to be a little higher than the cake and make sure you level. Do you have another cake base? If so place it on top and flip your cake over. Now your cracked cake is on the bottom. Just frost and smooth the top and your good to go. Hope you feel better.

amandda Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:23am
post #12 of 12

i like leah s advice the most if u dont want to rebake them back peddaling is the best way if all else fails bake till u are too sore to look at a spatula!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%