Marble Cake?

Baking By tamicat49 Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 1:22am by leily

tamicat49 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I am new to cake baking & decorating & I need to make a marble cake. Someone told me to make a yellow cake mix with cocoa powder in it. I have a Betty Crocker yellow box cake mix so how much cocoa powder do I use? Any info on making this cake would be a great help. Thanks.

4 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 5

I would make the yellow mix and then separate it, so you have 3/4 yellow and then add cocoa (or even melted chocolate) to the remaining 1/4 of the batter (not sure how much - you might just have to add a little bit at a time until you get the flavor you want). Then pour the yellow batter into your pan, followed by the chocolate batter. Take a butter knife and drag it thru the batter in your pan to make swirls, giving it that marbled look.

Maybe alternate the layers more (yellow / chocolate / yellow / chocolate and THEN use your knife).

I probably just made that more difficult than it should be!!!

acperry Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

I would make the yellow mix and then separate it, so you have 3/4 yellow and then add cocoa (or even melted chocolate) to the remaining 1/4 of the batter (not sure how much - you might just have to add a little bit at a time until you get the flavor you want). Then pour the yellow batter into your pan, followed by the chocolate batter. Take a butter knife and drag it thru the batter in your pan to make swirls, giving it that marbled look.

Maybe alternate the layers more (yellow / chocolate / yellow / chocolate and THEN use your knife).

I probably just made that more difficult than it should be!!!

I agree. I take white cake batter and chocolate cake batter and alternate, then drag a knife thru to "marble".

Alery Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 5

They do make a marble cake mix which would take out the guess work.

leily Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 5

i always make up a batch of my white cake and then a batch of my chocolate cake. Then i add to the pan as mentioned above and swirl. I already have recipes for those two flavors that i like so i just put them in the same pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%