Car Windows

Decorating By kdbohm Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 10:30am by WickedSweetDebbie

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my son a birthday cake and have made the fondant race cars. I was wondering if there was something to make windows and look like glass?

I won't need a lot, just a tiny amount, but any ideas would be great!

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

I have had the best luck with gelatin sheets (find them in the baking aisle near the jello etc at the grocery store) and have used them in a lot of my cakes for windows. I recently used them in my Coronation St. cake (and painted detailed designs on them). They are very versitile, but it helps to wet them a bit, as they don't bend well....
There is also an edible varnish recipe that a lot of cc'ers use. I have tried it, but did not have luck. It gooped and would not set for me. Not sure what I did wrong .... But here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7292/edible-varnish
I have also tried isomalt, but I didnt' achieve the desired results with that either...
Good luck!

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much. I had been searching for things and couldn't find anything!

himmlisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
himmlisch Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 5

I haven't done it yet, but I saved this cake by lalaine. They mixed black gel and vanilla and painted it on.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1679177

WickedSweetDebbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedSweetDebbie Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 10:30am
post #5 of 5

Hi Kdbohm, what did you end up doing for the windows? Do you have pictures? I have to make a car cake in two weeks and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the windows as well. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%