mustang1964 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of

So how on earth do you do it? I wasted tons of product and have very few gems I can use.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

25 replies
peg818 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of

use a parchment cone, doubled and use a pot holder type glove.

bakencake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of

mustang1964, I have the same problem. I even tried the droppers. didn't work. iso hardened before i could squeeze enough in the little compartments. let me know if you figure out something.

mustang1964 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of

I'll try the parchment cone. Thanks

Jeannem Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of

I would NOT try the parchment cones!!! That stuff is HOT!!That is an accident waiting to happen!! Did you try using a measuring cup?? Even a teaspoon (or a baby spoon) a small amount at a time.

Rosie2 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of

I'd like to know too...I'm planning to make some small jewels soon.
Thanks to all!!!

sillywabbitz Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of

Has anyone tried using the isomalt sticks in the glue gun. My cake store now carries the sticks and they said you can put them in a regular new glue gun that will only be used for sugar.

Pretty coolicon_smile.gif I really want to try iticon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of

I wound up nearly in tears and threw the whole thing out....... icon_cry.gif

Auntie_RaRa Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #9 of

Not sure how small your molds are, but someone gave me a tip on here about using the silicon muffin cups. That is the only thing I use now. Very easy to pour. I have used them with the CK jewel molds and some of those are really small. Be care, that sugar is super hot. I use like 4 or 5 of those cups inside one another. Those sticks sounds like a good option.

Rosie2 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Has anyone tried using the sticks in the glue gun.

Isomal sticks in a glue gun??!! never heard of it...how do they work? just like a glue stick? does the sugar comes out clear though?

CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm

I use silicone cupcake cups or a small medicine cup. Just be careful that it's a heavier medicine cup and that your isomalt isn't too hot or you'll melt a hole in the bottom. I've had the most success with the medicine cup. Small amounts, easy to control, and I can pour small gems. I just keep a ramekin with the bulk of my isomalt in it so I can keep it heated. There's a lot of pouring involved but I really think pouring it from the ramekin into the medicine cup eliminates most of my bubbles so it's worth it.

sewsweet2 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:09am

Make a small pick like a fat toothpick) out of silicone plastic. Use it to dip into the melted isomalt and place in your small gem molds.

sillywabbitz Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Isomal sticks in a glue gun??!! never heard of it...how do they work? just like a glue stick? does the sugar comes out clear though?

As far as I know yes. It comes out clear and it's just like a glue stick. However, I haven't tried it so I would think you could contact Cake Play which is the company who makes the sticksicon_smile.gif The other benefit of the sticks supposedly is you can melt them in the microwave. I really want to try them.

tesso Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:20am

I went to the kitchen supply store, Bath and Beyond, and I bought tiny laddles. yup they are adorable!! It came in a three pack I dont know the sizes but I would guess three tablespoon, 2 tablespoon and one table spoon. They are perfect for laddling into those tiny molds. Stainless steel. long handled. so they dont heat up near where you hold them. icon_biggrin.gif invest in them.

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:41am
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

As far as I know yes. It comes out clear and it's just like a glue stick. However, I haven't tried it so I would think you could contact Cake Play which is the company who makes the sticksicon_smile.gif The other benefit of the sticks supposedly is you can melt them in the microwave. I really want to try them.

I got the Cake Play pre-cooked isomalt sticks at the 2010 ICES. Haven't used them yet. I called Cake Play and asked if they could be used in a glue gun and they said "NO!". They are simply shaped like a glue stick for convenience of use ( for instance you can break off a small portion). They are designed to be melted in the microwave instead of the usual way of cooking isomalt. Check it out at cakeplay . com
They come in clear, and 3 other colors.

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsweet2

Make a small pick like a fat toothpick) out of silicone plastic. Use it to dip into the melted and place in your small gem molds.

That's a good idea. One of the molds I haven't used yet has tiny, tiny jewels. I can cut up one of my unused silicone thrift store pans and make some "fat toothpicks".

sillywabbitz Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:50am

April, thank you so much. I asked at my cake supply and apparently they are misinformed. I'm so glad you checked with the source. I assumed they was right because I have seen people on FN Challenge with the sugar glue guns but I guess that is a different product. Thanks again for the info.

luckylibra Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:46pm

I purchased two silicon "boats" for pouring sugar.. they were featured in the presentation by Chef Nicholas Lodge for Aster Imports. I ordered them after the demo.

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:26pm

Here's a link to another CC thread on isomalt jewels:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=666954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

They suggest silicone mini muffin cups to pour, and lollipop sticks or toothpicks fo the small gems. It's a good thread.

sewsweet2 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

They suggest silicone mini muffin cups to pour, and lollipop sticks or toothpicks fo the small gems. It's a good thread.

If you use a silicone type toothpick you won't waste any isomalt because you can remove the hardened isomalt off the pick and reheat. You may not be able to do that to a paper lollipopstick or a wooden toothpick.

Apti Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

If you use a silicone type toothpick you won't waste any because you can remove the hardened off the pick and reheat. You may not be able to do that to a paper lollipopstick or a wooden toothpick.

Thanks, sewsweet! You've saved me some of my expensive pre-cooked isomalt that I haven't used yet.

Isomalt jewels, gelatin bows, topsy turvy cakes, Kerry Vincent wedding cakes, modeling chocolate, fondant figures, piping figures--there are SO many techniques and ideas that I want to do NOW, but being a hobby baker it's going to take some time to get to everything.

Luffie Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
Quote:

If you use a silicone type toothpick you won't waste any because you can remove the hardened off the pick and reheat. You may not be able to do that to a paper lollipopstick or a wooden toothpick.

You are exactly right, I had no luck removing the hardened off a wooden toothpick so it is wasted, and after doing a few gems it really starts to build up on the pick.

Great idea re making a silicone toothpick sewsweet, thank you for the tip...I was trying to figure out something other than toothpicks...Something that small is def needed for the tiny gems as they take barely a drop of isomalt.

Thanks again, great idea!

Rosie2 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
Quote:

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I've never heard of silicone toothpicks! where do you find them?

dchockeyguy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm

Another option is a silicon piping bag along with some gloves to protect your hands.

sewsweet2 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:43am

If you have a silicone pan or mold, you can use a scissors to cut off a skinny sliver off the edge of the pan/mold.  That's what I did.  didn't have to buy anything new. 

writersblock15 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 5:08pm

I use a toothpick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%