Renting Commercial Kitchen - Is This A Good Deal?

Business By annathefoodie Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 4:37am by annathefoodie

annathefoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annathefoodie Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking into renting a commercial kitchen at a local church - the rate they are looking at currently (not in stone yet) is $100.00 for an 8 hour day, which would be $12.50 an hour. I have not been able to find any other kitchen in the area that is for rent on an hourly basis. This seems like a reasonable rate to me, but I am just getting started and have nothing to compare it to.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

8 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 9

Sounds like a great deal to me..But I'm in CA..so I'm not sure what the going rate would be there.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

oops! I submitted twice

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, that is a very good deal. You want to stay around $15.00 or $20.00 per hour and if you can get under $15.00 that is wonderful. Just make sure any special fees or costs are included and use the following link to download the Incubator / Commercial Kitchen Rental Questionnaire
http://homebasedbaking.com/peek-inside

I just received info on a new shared use kitchen in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Here is the link if you want to take their survey and get on their mailing list. Opening soon.
http://therandomkitchen.com/

Plus:

Entrepreneurial Test Kitchen Groundbreaking Set next week for Hillsborough, NC. The Piedmont Food and Agricultural Processing Center will rent out commercial kitchen and refrigeration space to Hillsborough area farmers and food processors. You may see products being processed in early 2011 since the facility is set to open in March. More than $1.2 million have been raised so far. I will post more detailed info in Jan. 2011.

Who can use it?
Farmers and food entrepreneurs within a 75-mile, 22-county radius of the facility are welcome to use the facilitys resources.

annathefoodie Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 9

thanks for the feedback! The church president called me back yesterday right after I posted this and confirmed that the church counsel had approved the renting of the kitchen, AND they wanted to order cupcakes from me for Wednesday!! icon_biggrin.gif I am so happy, icon_biggrin.gif I can't even stand it! this has been a life long dream for me. I finally decided to go for it and stop being afraid of failing - and I am getting orders left and right now.

And today I bake my first real wedding cake icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ok, now I'm just rambling. icon_biggrin.gif

gingerbreadtogo Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 9

Go, Go, Go... Good Luck to you annathefoodie.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 9

Houston's best rate (NO peak hours) is $15.00 just so you have an idea. CONGRATS!!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 9

$100/day is a great deal, you should check to see if that includes on-site storage of your ingredients and equipment.

And if you haven't already done so, be sure to take out liability insurance to protect yourself and your personal assets.

annathefoodie Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #9 of 9

Once again, thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%