Americolor Vs Kopykake Pens

Decorating By Skirt Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 3:10pm by maitej17

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 10

I was about to order the Americolor ones when I noticed that Kopykake makes a double ended set. Is one better than the other? Are they the same quality-wise?

Thanks for your input!

9 replies
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

Well, I haven't tried the americolor, but I have the kopykake ones. I was quite disappointed in them. Half of them were dried out and I have no idea if they are savable? I have also used the Wilton ones and they are even worse!!
The Kopykake ones that did work, were great. I loved the fact that they have two sides.....it came in handy.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 10

I also bought kopykake thinking the thick and thin side would be great..but most of them dried out pretty quickly..my Wilton ones work okay. My favorite that has worked the longest is "foodoodler" . -foodoodler.com-

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 10

I have the kopykake ones and was very disappointed with them. When I got them in several were dried up, the caps don't stay on well, I like the work they can do but not worth the money I spent on them. I am trying anything I can to salvage since they are ruinned if I don't. I soked them in a warm wet cloth for a little bit and it did help they worked for a little bit anyway. I would advise against these. The double ends is great but only if the pens are working. I haven't tried the Americolor ones yet so if you do please share your experience with them.

~~}i{~~

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 10

Wow. I was just about to order those double-ended ones. I won't now. Thanks everyone! Americolor it is!

P.S. I have the Wiltons, but there are not enough colors in one set and the tips are a little too fat for me. Otherwise they work okay and have lasted a long time w/o drying out - I kept them in the fridge for a long time.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 10

Hi!

IMO, K o p y Kake is just terrible!!!! Anything from them I would avoid. I would suggest going to icingimages.com

They are AMAZING!!!!

Michael

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for your input! I own the Americolor ones and have had them for almost 2 years and they still work fine! Granted, I don't use them very often but still... I was just wondering if the wide and narrow ended pens were just as good. Apparently not.

The one problem I have with the Americolor pens is the tips fray after a while. I've snipped them to try to reestablish a point with some luck.

I've heard that if your pens dry out you can soak them in food coloring. Don't know for sure though.

Anyway, Americolor it is! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 10

The Americolor ones last forever. I think I've bought two sets in maybe 5 years?

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 10

I too bought the double sided kopy kake pens and was very disappointed. Most of them are dried out when I got them. If shipping wasn't so expensive I would have sent them back. I also have the Americolor pens and was very happy with them.

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 10

I'm so glad I found this post,
I was just about to buy the kopykat ones but I guess I won't. But I'm not sure if I should get the Americolor one or the fooDoolers. Anyone have any suggestions between these 2 or is it a matter of preference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%