Fondant Thickness

Baking By yummy Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 12:37am by cakesrock

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 11

What's the best thickness to roll out fondant shapes for cookies? i'll be placing on hot cookies if that makes a difference. thanks!

10 replies
Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 11

I don't use fondant, but use RBC. I use a fondant roller with it, which is old and only came with one set of rings. I believe they are 1/4-inch. Someone correct me if I am wrong about the thickness.

SMF1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMF1 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 11

I just did some cookies that way. The fondant was about 1/8" thick and they came out really nice.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 11

Rolled Buttercream? I don't believe I've ever heard of it, icon_redface.gif Enlighten me please! icon_lol.gif

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 11

There's a couple recipes on CC for rolled buttercream. Basically, it's a rolled icing alternative to fondant. Some complain it's a bit greasy because it's made with veg. shortening. However, others say the shiny/greasy appearance disappears if you let it set on the cookies over night.

I tried it. Liked it. But, wanted to try marshmellow fondant. I ended up using a sort of hybrid recipe between the rolled buttercream and marshmellow versions. I think it's called marshmellow rolled buttercream. It's a recipe on CC. I like it for cookies. It's pretty darn sweet but if you put it on a cut out that isn't super sweet, it's a nice balance.

I'm new to cut outs and have little patients for learning piping. Although, I am improving. The rolled icings are a nice way to get a neat appearance with out a lot of effort. icon_smile.gif

breyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:50am
post #6 of 11

I roll my fondant out to 1/8" thick using the rings on my rolling pin. My cookies are 1/4" thick, so it makes a nice balance.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by breyes

I roll my fondant out to 1/8" thick using the rings on my rolling pin. My cookies are 1/4" thick, so it makes a nice balance.

Same as above but I am impatient with the rings and eyeball it...
Why are putting the fondant on hot cookies? I would be worried about melting fondant. I find it better to cool, brush with corn syrup and place the fondant cut- out on top. If you are getting stretching, then use a bit of tylose in the fondant or gumtex if increasing the PS doesn't work! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 11

I run my fondant through my pasta machine to about a 4 on my machine.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 11

cakesrock - I guess the thought behind putting your fondant on right when the cookies come out of the oven is that you don't have to use a "glue". It sorta melts the fondant just a little bit & it adheres.

I've tried a bunch of ways. Piping gel, watered down corn syrup, thinned preserves, and the "hot" method. I think they all work...it's just a preference.

I think the preserves is a great idea to add flavor. But...an added cost as well.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 11

I pasta machine mine to setting 2. 1/4" seems waaay to thick for cookie icing!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:37am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

cakesrock - I guess the thought behind putting your fondant on right when the cookies come out of the oven is that you don't have to use a "glue". It sorta melts the fondant just a little bit & it adheres.

I've tried a bunch of ways. Piping gel, watered down corn syrup, thinned preserves, and the "hot" method. I think they all work...it's just a preference.

I'll have to give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%