Take Flowers Off The Cake!

Decorating By Gavriela Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm by MJ2008

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 4

Prior to my youngest niece's wedding, she asked me to make her wedding cake and the grooms cake....

We traveled from Quincy to Sonora, CA for the wedding with the cakes. No major disasters Whooohooo....

The morning of the wedding I decorate and assemble her cake, with three dozen red roses, leaving one dozen red and one dozen white roses for the girls to carry, and for decorating. We move the cake to the cake table and finish decorating the table.... Off to the right of the cake table is the head table and two ladies decorating this table. One of the ladies asks if there are more roses as they need them for the head table. I tell her I don't know how many are needed for the girls who are in the wedding and such. She proceeds to get antsy and says " Well we HAVE to have roses for the head table, can we just take them off the back of the wedding cake, no one will even notice that we did". UMMDUH! the bride and groom stand behind the cake for the cutting they WOULD SO NOTICE, UHHHHHHH NO I say, politely of course yet pissed off in my brain.

Much later in the day and while I'm cutting and serving the cake, she approaches me and says, I'm so sorry, I now know why you did not want me to take the roses. Also I did not know you were the cake lady. She hugged me and all was splendid.

It just amazes me that people really don't ponder what they are saying. Is the head table more important than the wedding cake? HMMMM I think my niece would have been greatly upset if her cake had been dismantled for decorating something else.

All in all it was a splendid gift and an awesome family "reunion".

Gavi

3 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 4

I'm glad that she was nice enough to come back & talk to you....kudos to her, even if she DID want to take ANYTHING away from something someone else had done. (& that's strange, especially the cake--ewwww dirty hands, lol)

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

Oh my gosh, it's a good thing you were there! I do believe that cake would have been minus quite a few roses in the back "because no one will notice." icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 4

At least she apologized. I just can't believe that was her thought.

I have to ask, where did your niece get married. I live fairly close by and my husband and I got married there back in April.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%