Dawn Food's Velvetop

Decorating By kger Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm by kger

kger Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 5

What's the general opinion on this? I can only get a giant bucket of Bettercreme at Sam's, but I my supermarket bakery will sell me their Dawn's non-dairy whipped in smaller quantities.

Is it worth it? Does it taste the same? Or should I go buy a vat o' bettercreme at Sam's?

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 5

I'd like to know this also as I can get Velvetop through Dawn foods here....

cakemadam21 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

Sam's Club's buttercream is very good, everyone likes it. Also very convenient. I use it all the time.

cakemadam21 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

I'm sorry, I think you were talking about the "whipped" icing at Sam's. I've used that also and it's good as well. I just store what was left in gallon freezer bags in my freezer and just thaw when I needed them again. It's not to sweet but just sweet enough and I love the texture.

kger Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 5

Nope, Rich's Bettercreme. Sam's Club sells it prewhipped in 20lb containers or something for like $20.

I went ahead and bought 2 lbs of Dawn Food's VelveTop from my Shopper's Food Warehouse. Tastes ok. Kind of like a super-thick cool whip. I don't really have anything to compare it to, though.

For the most occasions, my american bc is just fine. But this is a cake for Europeans, and bc just sends them into sugar fits. I would normally just stabilize some whipped cream, but they aren't going to have any refrigerator space.

Btw- I'm in Northern VA and there is NO Bettercreme, Whip 'n Ice, or Pastry Pride or whatever to be had apart from the giant container of prewhipped at Sam's or begging from a supermarket bakery. I've learned that there is a small grocery chain in Southern Maryland that carries it, so I'll have to take a road trip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%